Halloween in Norway

Scary Mommy has inspired me to write about Halloween... one of our favorite Holidays... or at least it USED to be until we moved to Norway...

Halloween is still pretty new to Norway... Not sure how long it has been over here... but not long enough for people to know WHEN they are supposed to go out Trick or Treating... or get excited about decorating... or even to know that you need to go buy some good candy... (NOT clean out their junk drawers with whatever they might find...... some loose change... old gum.... a LIGHTER........)



I love when Nowegians get all excited & ask me questions about Halloween... like "Why do you celebrate Halloween?" "Ummm..free candy..." I know there is a story as to why we celebrate Halloween ... but whatever

..."when do you go out trick or treating for Halloween? ***crickets*** "Ummmm, ....ON Halloween"


being a busy working mom...I haven't had a chance to spread the news to EVERYONE over here, that we need to trick or treat ON Halloween... so it is not unusal to have trick or treaters the week BEFORE or AFTER Halloween...



A co worker told me she had trick or treaters 3 weeks early... (I think the kids were just trying to pull one over on her & get some extra pre Halloween candy )


I also haven't had the time to tell the Norskis that if they don't want trick or treaters... turn off your porch light... No need to yell & a bunch of 6 year olds & slam the door in their faces... (yes, this was my first experience with trick or treating in Norway & i have been scarred ever since...)


Costumes? Good luck if you want to be something other than a Witch or a Pirate...


Last year we came up with this little didy... & all we needed was 5 rolls of Aluminum Foil & some black clothes...


I couldn't believe hubby went along with it...but I think he really enjoyed the aluminum foil " nut cup" (look closely.. you can see it) & prancing around in his silver boots...


So the delimma this year.. what can we go as...a family of 4? I kind liked the idea of Pippi Longstocking &Mr. Nelson the monkey.... (very big over here...) With Bjørn as Pippi & Eva as the Monkey... but that leaves Dane & I being the 2 boring Swedish friends.... Any suggestions?


I am also debating on whether I should decorate the house this year...... I don't have the cute Martha Stewart decorations... I have the "rat in the can" & singing Skeleton variety.... mind you ...NO ONE else decorates around here.... Any thoughts.... hmm?
Back to Scary Mommy See this great basket?! Scary Mommy is giving this away...it's easy to enter...just go here and follow the directions.
I don't think I am able to get any of this really cool stuff in Norway... (going for the pity vote...) Poor Me.... Go on over & check her out....

Comments

Simple Answer said…
What a hilarious pic! How can you top that?

I dunno how I'm going to decorate. I tried 'carving' an orange yesterday to see if I could do that with the girlz. Nope. Lame. So, I may be forced to make paper maiche jack-o-laterns. Heaven help me! Desperate, desperate, desperate~! BUT, I am going to make Martha's black rats and have the girlz cut them out and put them all over the front entry way. That I can handle.
I am so impressed with a family that dresses up together. Ya'll look great! I am horrible at coming up with costumes. My kids are the creative ones. My oldest is going as Edward Cullen. I am not sure how people will know it's Edward...but she's excited about it.

Now, for decorations. I am sooo uncrafty. BUT...everyone in my neighborhood does this. And it's easy. Just take a white trash bag. Put a little newspaper or something in it, and put a rubber band around the bag to hold it in place. So, now you have the ghost head and body. Then just take a black sharpie and draw on a face.

everyone here has one hanging from their mail box. Everyone! We have a few more - because the girls couldn't stop at one - and those are hanging from our trees.
The housewife said…
Brilliant pic! I have learned the Halloween thing (sort of) - they are quite good with it here in the UK. Well, compared to Norway anyway.....

I usually do get dressed up as a witch tho - gives me an excuse to not wear make up!
Jill said…
I LOVE Halloween...

This year we're having trouble figuring out costumes too!

I'm going to have to check back to see what people are suggesting... :)
Frizzy said…
Love the idea from last year. I just read the parenting magazine from Oct. They have pictures and instructions on how to be a BLT sandwich. Parents go as bread with Mayo the kids are the filling. IF you like I can send you the directions. Not sure a BLT would be understood in Norway but a sandwich is a sandwich after all. Maybe you could all dress up as Lefse or something Norwegian.
Rhea said…
OMG, that silver nut cup was hilarious!!!!

My husband and I were jailbirds last year. It was easy to pull off. hehe
Way...you guys look like you are suppose to on Halloween...a scary rendition of what was! lol! I say GO BIG just to let the neighbors in on how COOL it really is! lol!

And I'm with you on the Princess baby name...it is in no way American...except for maybe the Emma part, but I believe even that came or started first in England?
Frizzy said…
Forgot to tell you I have something for you at my blog.
Anonymous said…
That photo is GREAT!!! I didn't notice the aluminum foil nut cup til you mentioned it....I'm still laughing!!!

I think you should decorate with whatever you've got. Someone's gotta start a tradition, right? Show them Americans know how to have fun.....

You guys could be the Incredibles....does your husband like tights? hahaha
Heather said…
Those are the best costumes I've seen in a really long time. The nut cup is priceless!!
I never thought about holidays like Halloween in other countries. That is hilarious that the kids go trick or treating weeks before and after! ROTFL I should have tried that when I was little! hahaha

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

~melody~
Laural Out Loud said…
My daughter wants to be Pippi this year, but I talked her into the Cheerleader costume I bought on sale after last Halloween. I just don't have the creative juices to pull it off! I would LOVE to see you guys do it, though. It would be total awesomeness!
WheresMyAngels said…
That is cracking me up. I remember reading another post of yours about starting it up there.

Love those costumes! Priceless.
Scary Mommy said…
I love that picture- that is so hilarious!!!! You guys are awesome!

And, thank you a million for all the bloggy love!!! I will totally ship the box to you if your number comes up. I may regret saying that, but I promise! Thanks again! :)
Unknown said…
A family that dresses up together , stays together !!! Or something like that :-)

Go ahead and decorate... you never know, you might start something going there, especially if you do some really awesome decorations.

Apparently, Halloween is slowly.. maybe ..beginning to become popular in NZ as well. Not sure if it will or not.
I'm back with another comment to say...Wooohooo! CONGRATS you SAUCY SITS gal, you!

~melody~
Anonymous said…
Hey, I'm impressed you got your hubby to dress up, mine refuses! LOL

I did pick up two pumpkins yesterday, they are still uncarved sitting on the porch. I need to get moving I suppose.
Summer said…
I might totally need to copy those costumes!!!! How fun!

Congrats on being saucy!!!

Hugs...Summer
Anonymous said…
What a plan. Trick or treat early to get all the candy you can use to GIVE OUT on the actual Halloween. Now that is recycling!!!!

Oh the family that 'KISS's together stays together ya know!
Kristen Andrews said…
that is a great pic! and hello to a fellow Sista, I know you have visited my blog before! Hello again!
Pi said…
I am cracking up at the idea of lighters for treats and people showing up a week late!

Great costumes by the way!
Trish said…
That's KissTastic! Love it!
cat said…
Yeah, Halloween is not very big in South Africa too. But seeing that Mama mia is such a big hit, and that you are in Sweden, how about being ABBA?

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....