Best Christmas song... E. V. E. R...

Oh sure, I like the classics...like "Here comes Santa Claus", "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus" - We wish you a Merry Christmas...

But my ALL TIME FAVORITE... idontcarewhoisaround...iamgoingtosingAS.LOUD.as.i.can...Christmas Song is...

BAND AID...Do they know it's Christmas....***sigh***

I won't lie...
I used to sing it into my hairbrush all the while pretending I was MRS. Simon LeBon
and not just at Christmas time...
(bet you are thinking I was a PRETYY BIG DORK growing up aren't ya?)


I would sing this song ALL YEAR LONG..

I spent Christmas 1984 in the hospital... with my right leg shattered in like, a million pieces... my family decorated my hospital room & tried to make it a little more cheery... My sister Heidi (the best present giver EVER) bought me the BAND AID album & a George Michael poster which was hung on the wall in that hospital room until I got out..... Funny, thats the only gift I remember from that year....

ANYWOO (sorry about the trip down memory lane) I LOVED/LOVE this video... I know every shoulder shrug... every singer ... everytime they screw up (Paul Young totally forgets the words...)




Enjoy! What is your all time favorite Christmas tune?









[edit] Participants
The original Band Aid ensemble consisted of (in sleeve order):
Linda Ronstadt
Adam Clayton (U2)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Phil Collins (Genesis)
Bob Geldof (The Boomtown Rats, subsequently USA for Africa)
Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet)
Chris Cross (Ultravox)
John Taylor (Duran Duran)
Paul Young
Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet)
Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17)
Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran)
Simon Crowe (The Boomtown Rats)
Marilyn
Keren Woodward (Bananarama)
Martin Kemp (Spandau Ballet)
Jody Watley (Shalamar)
Bono (U2)
Paul Weller (The Style Council, and previously The Jam)
James "J.T." Taylor (Kool & The Gang)
George Michael (Wham!)
Midge Ure (Ultravox)
Martyn Ware (Heaven 17)
John Keeble (Spandau Ballet)
Gary Kemp (Spandau Ballet)
Roger Taylor (Duran Duran)
Sara Dallin (Bananarama)
Siobhan Fahey (Bananarama)
Sting (The Police)
Pete Briquette (The Boomtown Rats)
Francis Rossi (Status Quo)
Robert 'Kool' Bell (Kool & the Gang)
Dennis Thomas (Kool & the Gang)
Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
Jon Moss (Culture Club, former member of Adam and the Ants)
Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)
Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran)
Johnny Fingers (The Boomtown Rats)
David Bowie (who contributed via a recording that was mailed to Geldof and then dubbed onto the single)
Boy George (Culture Club)
Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
Paul McCartney (Wings and The Beatles, who contributed via a recording that was mailed to Geldof and then dubbed onto the single)
Stuart Adamson (Big Country)
Bruce Watson (Big Country)
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Mark Brzezicki (Big Country)
Jools Holland (Squeeze)

Comments

This song reminds me of such an important time in my life...those formative years...I was 13 in 1984, in jr high school...school dances, assemblies, tretorns etc etc...so even tho it isnt very xmassy...I still love it!
This song reminds me of such an important time in my life...those formative years...I was 13 in 1984, in jr high school...school dances, assemblies, tretorns etc etc...so even tho it isnt very xmassy...I still love it!
MommyLisa said…
Yup. best.song.evah!
You don't understand!!!! I love that song! It never truly feels like Christmas until I hear it and I hadn't heard it yet this year. Thank you!
It's crazy that I stumbled over here through the Bitchen WIfe, the crazy part is, right before stumbling I just finished an entire rendition from start to ending of this very song you wrote of. I'm talking, sang it in the exact tone and style of each performer. (Except I messed up on Sting's part) That's when my hub said. "Could you please not ever do that again? Thanks"

Then the 6 year old chimed in...what kind of Christmas song was that.?"
Frizzy said…
I used to love this song and video. I think I watched it a million times to see my favorites. I loved George Micheal too! Sigh... The good ole days.
Good choice!
I like the old old old guys - Bing, Nat, you know!
Love it, great flash back...I'm a total 80's girl. They all look so young. Great song choice.
Captain Dumbass said…
Favourite? Too many to choose from, but that was a good one.
That's a great choice!

My favorite is "All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey, for a very special reason! I blogged about it last week :)

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com
Luschka said…
Lol. I totally hate that song. Its become almost a joke in our family. When it starts playing, my husband just rolls his eyes at me, cause he knows what's coming. And not a year passes where he doesn't try to explain to me at least once why it's such a good song. But not for me. I can't get past the 'there'll be no snow in Africa this Christmas time' (or something like that) line. I tend to go off on a tirade, something along the lines of 'Of COURSE there's no snow in Africa this Christmas, there's NEVER snow in Africa at Christmas - it's the height of summer! DO YOUR RESEARCH before you write a song!! And that's when Hubby dearest starts telling me all the good that money raised from that song has done... and then I feel bad. Till next time I hear it...

Well, maybe it's cause I'm from South Africa. It just irritates me. Specially cause where I live in England, it's always FREEZING at Christmas time. Maybe it reminds me of warm Christmases spent by the pool... sigh. Now I'm homesick.

Good post, anyway :o)

Stopping by from SITS
Cristin said…
My favorite song as well. It's on my iPod Christmas playlist.
Kelly said…
One of my favs also...I didn't know that your accident happened over X-mas....that makes a sucky situation even suckier!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....