Getting a job as a foreigner....

Having been an ex pat in Norway..TWICE.. I can tell you a thing or two about TRYING to land a job over here...  it AIN'T EASY.

Now, this is MY experience..
(.. & the experience of all of my ex pat girlfriends over here.)
   There are of course those.. with some wonderful education in a specialized field who will tell you that getting a job over here is EASY....   maybe for THEM is was...
 for the rest of us... not so much.

When I arrived the first time.. a bright & bushy tailed 25 year old...
with a double major & a minor.. 3 years work experience.. & 3 languages...
I thought it would be a BREEEZE landing a job.  That is what my new husband told me.
Why wouldn't someone want me? 
In the U.S. most employers think that if you have a degree.. you can be TAUGHT to do anything...  Oh you have a BA in English?  sure you can work in HR.. or sales etc.
Not so much here...
In Norway.. MOST people work with their degrees...
not so much flip flopping as in the U.S.
I have my education in Political Science & German with a minor in International Relations.
so as you can imagine.. there wasn't (still isn't)
a huge demand for those qualifications in my area.
For the first few months I lived here (15 years ago).. I scoffed at some of the jobs my husband suggested...  PUH-LEASE... I am not going to do THAT..or THAT..or THAT.

Well after a few months of NADA...
some of those jobs were looking PRETTY darn good.
too bad those jobs I THOUGHT I had been too good for.. didn't want me either...
My first go around here the 2 jobs I was offered... were cleaning lady.. &/or newspaper girl.
I ended up driving around with newspapers every morning at 4 am.. just to be able to contribute. - that lasted for a few months until Bjørn & I ended up going back on cruise ships... & then back to the US.

When we decided to move back 6 years ago.. I knew it would not be easy...
I knew that no one was going to want me just because
I had a degree or because I was an American..

I knew I was going to have to work..
sometimes harder than the Norwegians just to get my foot in the door...

Just getting an interview proved almost IMPOSSIBLE...
In the past 6 years I have had 3 jobs... Daycare..Hotel Concierge &
then finally Cosmetic /Perfume Manager...   With this last position.. I GOT LUCKY.

I have been getting alot of emails on how to get a job over here.

A lot of patience... hard work.. & an open mind...   



Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for this Tressa! Since I'm moving in July, it obviously has been such a concern of mine with my degrees and probably not being able to find a job super easily! I know it will be difficult and I have to be patient and willing to take what I can get until I learn the language and am able to find something better!

:-)
I am looking for a job in Norway nearly 2 years. Chances to get something are very small, why?
First - the language. I live now in Telemark and I am learning to speak Telemark-Norwegian. If I have to move to other region or city in Norway (f.eks. Bergen, Stavanger) - my language will not be even considered.
Second - connections. If we don't have network of friends we have ZERO chances to get anything. We need recomendations and in the beginnig it's very difficult to get any, especially if we have no friends here.
Third - our education. To be honest, in many cases it's higher than Norwegians. And they don't want to hire people with bigger experience than they have.
Fourth - system in Norway. It is so complicated and unfriendly. Or maybe people are unfriendly, because they are fedup of foreigners...
I am sorry, if there is a sound of frustration, but this is my experience and I have no support of Norwegian husband, because I have no one. However even in Your story Tressa is visible that having one is not helping enough ;-).
In the region I live, to get a job (even as a cleaning lady) requires connections and reccomendations or norwegian diploma.

I try not to give up but it is very difficult not to. Thank you for your post!
Urban Earthworm said…
That is extremely disheartening. Hubby and I would LOVE to move over there, to Norway or a similarly situated country. He's a Green Contractor and I'm an attorney barred in New York. His job MIGHT be portable. Mine clearly isn't. Ugh.

I really wanted to be over there before the next baby. Guess that won't happen . . .
Dumbwit Tellher said…
So much tougher finding a job in Norway than I imagined. Although my Emily's boyfriend just moved from Kristiansand to Oslo just to get any type of job. I hope when we finally get to the U.K. I will have luck. I may just have to believe in miracles!

Have a lovely weekend.

Cheers ~ Deb
Anonymous said…
I was curious......do you not start your new job on Monday, May 2as you posted back on april 7th. Did something happen to that job?
Anonymous said…
I didn't realize you also had just posted on how hard it is for foreigners to find work in Norway! Thanks for your comment on my blog, and congratulations on your new job!
WheresMyAngels said…
Very interesting and it is so true, here in the US, as long as you have some kind of degree, they will hire you for about anything!
Julie said…
This blog is really informative. YES!! It is HARD!! Soul crushingly hard.. I'm sick of hearing it, and probably so is everyone else. But learn Norwegian. If you learn at least enough to stumble through a conversation and bluff how much you know, then get a job at a barnehage.. even if its just 6 months, you will be fluent!! ta da... now you can look for something else.
Anonymous said…
I speak Norwegian, I have masters education from Norway (MBA). But I dont get job. People are very conservative and they will only hire Norwegians. That's simple..Thinking about moving to UK.
Anonymous said…
Moved here 18 months ago. Had a norwegian partner before for several years in the uk and came here often. Am an experienced guidance counsellor with degree, work qualifications and loads of experience. 40,000kr on norsk lessons, pretty fluent. Job here looking after disabled adults was residential and didnt pay enough tax, so when my second job in a barnehage folded after i moved to oslo especially for it, i was denied support from nav with dagpenger or social støtte but stuck in a house rental contract. Have applied for hundreds of jobs, nothing. Lost all my savings and now in debt. Had some interviews, some false promises. I heard it is a lot harder now than several years ago. I have an indonesian girlfriend now and although i love it here, and have met nice people in oslo, i dont feel that norway likes me, in fact it feels like i am thoroughly disliked, seen alot of inequality here too, i think the quality of life indexes are most likely fake, the show must go on....
Anonymous said…
Or you born on the right country or youre screwed. I was born portuguese. I studied hard, i worked hard, i feel in love for mountains and forests, and in the end i am destroyed. If i was norwegian (or swede) i would be living the life, simple, with a job, near nature. But no. I am portuguese. My efforts in portugal are nothing! It destroyed my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....