the best bits of our Germany trip...

I had better get writing before I fall even further behind with my adventures...

Germany ended up being a WONDERFUL time...
I have figured out a much easier way to get down to Germany..
Ferry from Larvik down to Denmark and then drive the rest...
Not much faster.. but a much easier trip if I am driving alone.

I know now, that I CAN road trip with my kiddos by myself...
no need to sit around on quiet weekends wondering what to do...
ROAD TRIP.

My poor babes were in the car most of the trip & they did FANTASTIC.
they were the ones insisting we go to the next stop...  which we did.

After our little fiasco trip to WESTERHOLT.. (without the castle)
we drove on to Blasheim.. were my fathers family lived last before moving over the to the US.

I have a cousin who knows EVERYTHING.. about our family-.
A quick Facebook message.. and she sent me all of the info I needed.

This is the church in Blasheim where my great great grandparents were married... and my great grandfather was born..

sadly, there wasn't too much to see in Blasheim.
but I am glad we went through all of the little towns my family had lived...

We ate dinner at a little local restaurant ...
& were told to go to Bad Essen to spend the night..

so glad we did...

ADORABLE hotel with the sweetest old couple running it...

the kids have already planned our next stay.. LOL


By a vote..(cause, yes, this is the way I work) - we decided to go to the OTHER Westerholt to see the "castle"


& Soooo pleased we did...
Westerholt is a 'town' which has kept its old village centre complete - with everything that is connected with the protection of historical heritage.
it was PERFECT..
As we started walking around.. Dane asked.."is this what you were hoping for? "
EXACTLY... it was adorable!

this is the "castle" chapel dating back to 1310..  We were lucky enough to get to go in and look around as it was open for a wedding later in the afternoon.
We spent the afternoon walking around in the rain, taking pictures...

the three of us agreed, that this stop made the entire holiday worth it!

More Germany Pictures tomorrow...

Comments

Shauna said…
Those pictures are so beautiful! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Until Next Time, Shauna {www.shaunawyrick.com}
Travel Bugs said…
Great pictures! Germany (with their beautiful houses) is always the place in my wish lists to visit :-)
MommyLisa said…
You know that is a HUGE bonus of living in Norway. Access to other countries.
Unknown said…
TOTALLY Agree Lisa! - Now that I am brave enough to just hop in the car & go... we will be doing many more Road Trips. :-)
Sara Louise said…
I think it's wonderful that you took your kids to visit where their ancestors come from. I'm sure they'll remember that trip forever :)
Kelli Nørgaard said…
Isn't it awesome when your kids are old enough to start really enjoying these kinds of trips?!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....