RANDOM Tuesday... Christmas edition..

randomtuesday
I thought I would have nothing to blog about today.... then I remembered it was RTT with the Un MOM
Hmmm... maybe I could write a Christmas post...
(damn- I shouldn't have opened THAT can of worms...)



Christmas- the most difficult time of the year.... for "expat" me...

Ohh ya...pull up a seat & let me bitch for a few moments....



I want to be HOME...

I want to be with my family...

I miss MALL SANTAS...

I miss all of the kids...
(there is one more in the mix now...)
all of Bjørns nieces & nephews are grown : ( except one, who will be with her other grandparents this year)


*I miss 19 of us staying at my parents house...


*I miss the CRAZINESS.


*I miss Christmas songs in English...


*I miss adopting families & serving others on Christmas...
(I have been unable to find any charities in our area to volunteer... - no soup kitchens.. no families in need to adopt... - I guess that should be a REALLY good thing... I just miss giving back.) - maybe we can bake & deliver cookies to the nursing home?




Thanks...I had to get that out there... so I can snap out of it & make the most out of the Norwegian Christmas...


* Eva came home yesterday, SAD because she is the only big kid that believes in Santa... the oldest kids are 5 (how sad)

*Dane no longer believes, but still wondered why Santa's gifts were so much better when we lived in America... (ummm..because everything is 1/3 of the price in the States...)

* In Norway the kids learn to wish for HARD PACKAGES... ??...
(because if it is soft... it means you are getting yet another pair of wool socks..)

*I don't think grandparents should buy things kids NEEEED... just saying... no kid is going to get excited about socks, or wool underwear... (I already found out what they are getting...hmmmph)

* YES...I realize I am being BITCHY... but this is my blog.. & I gotta get it out.


So now, how to get into the CHRISTMAS spirit?.. & make it feel a little more like the kind of Christmas I had growing up...

Tomorrow I am going out & doing my Chirstmas shopping.. (no, I haven't even started)
I NEED TO GET IN THE SPIRIT

I need to do some serious baking & give some really nice gifts to all of the teachers & pre school teachers.

I am going to kidnap the entire family Sat. night & make them drink coco & watch all of my FAVORITE CHIRSTMAS movies... A year without Santa, Santa Claus is coming to town,

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for visiting my blog! I look forward to following yours! : )
Design It Chic said…
Can i sign in for the hard packages too??.. my husband's grandma gave us wool socks for Christmas too.. good thing tough that she also gave us cookies and some moolah.. or else i would have smacked her ass right there:P

Hope you'll get the nice Christmas you crave for.. i miss home too:) But Germans are fun to tease:P

Happy Tuesday! Here's my Randomness!!
Kat said…
I am right there with you...and I still get Christmas songs in English... although with British accents.
gina said…
Ha, ha- santa brings my kids socks and undies- but they love them, well, the littles do becuase they are those character ones that cost $5 for 3 and they get a whole bunch of packs at chrismtas. :) They get their share of hard packages too...


Have fun shopping and there is nothing like Cocoa and movies to get in the Christmas spirit!!
Suzanne said…
A Christmas Story MUST be on that list of movies.

You're not going to believe this but I felt like an expat when I lived in Texas!!! I'm from Illinois and it was impossible to get into the Christmas spirit when it was 89 degrees on Christmas day and we were swimming. No snow = no Christmas spirit. I DID love the Christmas tamales that the women made.
Donna said…
We just watched It's A Wonderful Life in Beijing. That helped... but you're right - holidays just aren't the same when you're overseas.
Stacy Uncorked said…
If I had those kinds of memories with the chaos of 19, I'd be missing it, too.

I hadn't thought of the 'wishing for hard packages' - but it's true, because I remember getting 'soft' packages from the grandparents all the time and they were usually clothes or socks. :)

Good luck with the shopping, I need to finish mine, too. I'm WAY behind this year!

Happy RTT! :)
Sues2u2 said…
I love the idea of the cocoa & Christmas movies. Don't forget it's a wonderful life. That one always makes me feel better.

We got to have Thanksgiving w/ my family & you're right. It'd been too long & I had missed them desperately.

Merry Christmas! (does that help?)
It must be hard to get into the xmas spirit in another country :O(
Can you take your kids to a reindeer farm or something?
The xmas movies are always a great way to feel like its xmas!
Michele said…
A Christmas without watching "Scrooged" is just not Christmas. Try to have a great one even while your away from home.
Cajoh said…
You should do what I do… wrap those socks in a HUGE box. That way they will think it's something big.

Love your random wishes,
I don't know how you do it, I could never stay here for Christmas it's just too different and Santa like Target and TJ Maxx.Hope you find your spirit soon!
I am Harriet said…
I would miss all of that too.

Have a great day!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/12/do-we-need-santa-speedo-run-in-boston.html
I miss all that too. With my girls gone off on their own it makes Christmas harder. Also, it's not the same since my dad's passing.

Hang in there.
Corrie Howe said…
I hadn't really thought about Christmas being different because you were in a different country. Now I can feel your pain.

My mother-in-law get kids both what they need and something fun. She's also MUCH better at picking out clothes they love to wear. I don't know how since she only sees them once or twice a year.
Jennifer said…
Christmas away from home would be really, really hard. I can't even imagine. You have every right to bitch about it.

I love Santa and the whole tradition. And I'm worried that my five year old may be figuring it out. She has always had these amazing deductive skills and she hasn't really said anything this year about "Santa" brining her gifts. She just keeps asking us for stuff. I'm worried that means she may realize and she is either not letting us in on it or she is trying to hold on to the magic. Big sigh. Maybe I'm overthinking.

Thanks for stopping by.
I bet it's hard! Let's hope the holiday cheer comes quickly for you!

And by the way, the BEST Christmas movie is "A Christmas Story". LOVE THAT MOVIE!!
Amy W said…
Oh no! I am now feeling terrible that I haven't done any baking yet so I can give the kids' teachers Christmas goodies. I only have two more days and then school is out!

I totally agree, though, it is strange to not be home and part of the extended family hoopla that makes the holiday season so crazy and wonderful. :)
Debbie @ OtRD said…
I know what you mean about getting socks. When I was younger I got socks for gifts and hated that!! We would always hope for toys and sometime end up with socks! How funny is that but I guess it still happens...

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....