The "UN" plan.... European adventure with kids...

First... Awwwww... Thanks for all of the bloggy L O V E ... I wasn't in so much in a funk because of not having any more babies... not really sure why or what it was.... maybe it IS because I was outside doing summer stuff.... I dunno... but looks like I am back on the horse...

So I thought I would share the "plan" - which isn't really a plan because we are going to "WING" it

R I G H T?
Eeek.... It will be interesting to see what we actually end up seeing/doing.....


The thing I LOVE about living in Europe is that you are only a car ride from pretty much EVERYTHING...

Granted my idea of a car ride may be different than most American's.... I grew up in TEXAS... so a "road trip" to Grandma & Grandpas was a mere 17 hours in the car... STRAIGHT ...through Texas.... Oklahoma... Ill... (I usually konked out by then... or mom & dad drugged us so we would all stop whining" HOW MUCH LONGER....."



Point being... I grew up with 8 hours min. just to get out of Texas... so when I break it down that way.... In just a few hours I can be anywhere....
So the "un"plan....
JULY 4th

just 6 short hours from our home to Copenhagen...
the "unplan" is we will stop in Copenhagen for a little Danish brunch...

Copenhagen is really a weekend getaway for us almost Norwegians... I would have liked to take the kids picture in front of the Little Mermaid... but I think she is on tour at the moment...(right Kelli? )

We will spend most of the afternoon trying to get through Denmark so we can catch the afternoon ferry over to Germany... where we will pop our TI PI for the first night....

(can you tell I am still a little bugged about the TI PI? but alas... I am out voted 3-1 so it looks like the TIPI it will be.... I am thinking FUN MOM..FUN MOM... I can do this damn it...) the Ti Pi could be fun right?

So out first real stop is in Berlin ... where I hope to take the kids to the Brandenburg Gate... what remains of the Berlin Wall...Check Point Charlie,

etc. I was there in '90 not long after the wall came down... GOOD TIMES... Germany in the 90's was a rocking good time...







So the little carrot for my adorable children being well behaved & interested in all things historical will be a stop at








TROPICAL ISLANDS... a "little" tropical getaway not far from Berlin....

Tropical Islands Resort is an artificial tropical resort in Brandenburg, Germany. It is said to be the world's largest tropical indoor pool which can accommodate up to 8,000 visitors a day.
Tropical Islands > Visitors
I kind of wished I hadn't brought it up...because spending 1 or 2 days THERE

Means we probably won't have time to go
HERE
PRAGUE... only a few short hours away...& not really out of the way... but one of the stops we are just going to have to "WING" cross your fingers... I would really like to go back to Prague


moving further south ... we plan on stopping in Salzburg, Austria... so I can take my kidlets up to the mountains and reenact one of my all time favorite movies


I have been to Salzburg several times & I act like a total dork every time I go...Love this little GEM..


I plan on having some good wine & relaxing when we get here.... Not far from Salzburg is Bavaria... back into Germany...


Where it looks like we will be able to meet up with one of my oldest & dearest friends....

the darling, millionaire,world class athlete friend & his BEAUTIFUL model/Dentist wife...

the two of us (Jochen & I) really have nothing common but our SICK SENSE of humor which has gotten us through 22 years of friendship....



I keep imagining his face as we all roll out of the family truck-ster like the Beverly Hillbillies & the soda bottles & candy wrappers fall onto his driveway.... LOL


(did I mention this guy is a pro athlete who doesn't even own a TV... but loves my Roley Poly, high heel boot wearing-trying to climb a mountain self? -that was the last time I went to see him...)





We are planning on crashing in Bavaria for a few days to enjoy swimming & going into the mountains to feed the mountain goats.... (I found a camp ground where you can do that!) & practicing out yodeling... (that part I made up...)


















We HOPE
(oK I hope...) We will have time to stop in Heidelberg & Mannheim area were I spent a year of University... call me crazy & sentimental but I would really like to drive past my old dorm & University.....



We are then not planning... on heading west over to France.... where I can take the kiddos to Paris...


(I am NOT TIPI-ing it on the outskirts of Paris.... mommy is drawing the line here... I have no intention of showing my kids PARIS as a funk monger... )


So we will see as many sites as possible....(take my Christmas pictures.. he hee heee...) & then go to Euro Disney... (yea... lucky me...)

I will bet of all of the AMAZING things my children will get to see & do this holiday it will be Disney that wins.. (This isn't my FIRST choice of a vacation stop... but then again it is all about the "carrot" for the kids... Who knows, maybe Eurodisney will WOW me this time around...- I doubt it... but... I am going into my FUN mommy mode now... I am SURE it will be a highlight of my trip... LOL )










I think at this point I will be burnt out & READY to get home... but we are thinking we will be able to stop by the town my dad's family is from in Northern Germany... we'll see....

Get this... almost ALL of the campsites have Internet... is that CRAZY or what? I am hoping I will be able to post once or twice while we are away.... Any tips /advice... throw it my way..
I still have to figure out what the heck I am going to pack...or NOT pack...

Comments

LadyFi said…
Wow - now that looks like a great adventure! Especially Disneyland! ;-)
MsTypo said…
We are off on our European odyssey next week adn are hitting some of the same spots. But not Disney - i'm jealous!! *pout*

For the most part we are going in without any concrete plans and its driving me nuts!! I like plans. Plans are good!
JEDA said…
Good Gawd woman! Are you ever brave! And I'm not just talking about the lavvo here.

You've picked some great spots, but, hell, I'm exhausted just reading about all of it!

Good luck with your journey. Have a great summer.
ACR said…
WOWSERS!! That sounds absolutely amazing!! How long will you take for all of that? The inside paradise island sounds pretty cool.

Some of those locations are so beautiful.
Unknown said…
I'm practically salivating.
I think you need a nanny for this trip and I'm happy to volunteer. : )

FYI...been to Prague and LOVE IT!!
I could never do a trip like that. Of course, I have never camped either. I don't think that 38 is a good time to start.

How long will you be gone? Ya'll are going to see some amazing things. I am very jealous. And that tropical place...looks like something you would see in Dubai...
Corinne said…
I'm still trying to convince Sverre that you can stay somewhere with a bathroom and a shower and still call it camping. He's stuck on that whole Norwegian "One with the wilderness" thing. I hope you do blog during your trip, so I can point and say, "SEE? They're camping!!!"

Your trip sounds like so much fun. We're tossing around the idea of a European car trip next year...can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Stacy Nyikos said…
That sounds like an awesome trip. I am taking my kids to Berlin the exact same time! Wild. They are going to school with friends of theirs in Vechta, Germany at the moment. I fly over June 23, pick them up. Then it's off to Kiel, where I went to university, for the Kielerwoche. After that, Berlin, where a friend of mine works for the Aussenministerium. I'm hoping we can see Sanssouci in Potsdam. We won't make it much further south this trip. I'm so envious. I love Salzburg too :-)
Debie Napoleon said…
Wow - I am quite envious!
Kelli Nørgaard said…
This sounds GREAT!! I am so jealous of Salzburg and Prague... you must go!! I dream of those two! And you are in luck... the little Mermaid will be there when you get to CPH! She leaves in spring 2010!! So ´Go see her!! And you you feel the need to drive west from CPH, you can cross Storebælt and come to Herning!
Pseudo said…
Am so jealous. I want to stow away in the trunk of your car.
Jemma said…
Can I come too????
I am not down with the Norweigan tree hugging thing- my husband is trying to convince me to go stay at grat grandma's old farm in the woods that has no bathroom and no running water- ummmm NO!!
I agree with the brave comment, I'm in a panic about camping one night on an island off the coast of Maine next month for my nephew's wedding. I would love to go to Europe though, sigh sigh sigh. Just going to have to do it.
I found the Texas driving bit interesting. Until recently I was under the illusion that Maine was a BIG state.. then I started playing this game to place the state on the map and relized Maine is a TINY state. New hampshire, even all of New England is PUNY. I though my 2-3 hour drives were LONG! HaHaha. Texas is gigantic!
Anonymous said…
I can be your baggage carrier! Wow what a trip...how wonderful that your children get to see all this country...And you have seen all of it already...Lucky Dog..Hope it is wonderful and you can blog across the way...oh ya what is a tipi? Camper??? have fun...Shi~
BenLand said…
oh....how i envy you.....i dream of traveling all over europe someday.....have a wonderful time and be sure to take [and post] lots of pictures!!!
Kelly said…
Geez, how many days are you going?! I am tired already! You have to make sure you do the Sound of Music tour....I still giggle that I was able to get Bill to do that, but that was early on in the courtship and I could get away with A LOT!! I'm excited that you and Jochen are meeting up....make sure you tell him, "the girl with the laugh" says hi....and he could float a couple of mil my way if he so desires :

Can't wait to see the pics!!!!
tut said…
When you pass Denmark you could also make a stop on Bjørnø - small Island south of fyn. Place for relax/swimming when you are on your way back to Norway.
We will always welcome you.
www.bjørnø.net
hugs
Betsy said…
Are you going to Garmisch? I used to live there and love it. So beautiful!

Hope you guys have fun!
um...can you say JEALOUS...sort of makes my trip to Washington DC seem like a parked car in the driveway but whatever!!!

Have a blast and I am soo excited to see the pictures!
Sam said…
OMG! you have totally stolen my interrail route! have funnn
Bethany said…
It sounds like a fantastic trip! I miss Europe and all the train traveling.... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....