MY life as an Expat....

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country, fatherland). (stolen from wikpedia...)


First let me say that when I start getting all whiny & saying that I want to
GO HOME... It has nothing to do with NORWAY...


There are many WONDERFUL things about living here in Norway....

I tend to get down & homesick when I have not -so-good-stuff- going on..... & just want to be home...my home... with my family.


My dearest friend here in Norway is named Leanna (also an expat...) & we know that we can always call each other & say "I am having a I hate (insert country) day..." & vent away..
Do we really hate the country?
NOOOOOO... of course not...
But somedays... living in a foreign country isn't as glamorous as all of my FACEBOOK friends think....

I think, being an expat because of work, would be AWESOME..... You get go go live in foreign countries, experience life there.... & then GO HOME..... on top of that... most expats (because of work) have ready made support systems.... you have friends , your send your kids to International School where they speak English.... it is like cheating.... You get to live in a foreign country but have a little cheat sheet, to help you along the way....

Please don't get mad at me EXPATS, if this isn't how your life is...

But when I lived in Germany studying that is exactly how sweet my life was.... I was able to soak in everything wonderful about living in Germany, traveling through Europe... & then on the days when I had ENOUGH of Germany/Europe, I could retreat back to my little America...I managed to get a job on the local Army base which gave me privileges to the base & the PX.... so anytime I was missing home,I could truck it up to the base & go to American Movies... American Clubs, hang out with Cute American BOYS.. & even buy VELVEETA.... (sorry, had to throw that in there...) So it was like cheating... & gave me the best of both worlds.....

When you MARRY & move to a foreign country, it is like being thrown into the deep end... ready or not...

there are those who swim & really thrive... & there are those who SINK... & then you have the FLOATERS like me.... sometimes I am swimming but every once in a while, I feel like I am drowning....

Sometimes, I just get tired... tired of always have to speak & think in another language... I get frustrated when there is something that I misunderstood.... (kids school) I get tired of FAKING it.... I get tired of never REALLY fitting in.... I don't want to be anything other than American... but it isn't easy to always be different... & over here... I am always just a little bit different.

- to be fair... I am writing this post in a pretty down moment... I am not thrilled with the Hospitals or Medical care here... & I just wish we were home....

Why don't we hop in the plane & go home? Because..it is Bjørns Arm... & this is HIS HOME... & he is OK with things.... I am just trying to keep my mouth closed & be supportive.... he is a grown man, (a stubborn grown man) & he is going to have to make his own decisions....

But it doesn't stop me from worrying...

Kat asked if we were planning on moving home.... Nope...because really, the U.S. isn't home to anyone, except me. Eva is pretty much 100% Norwegian....
(OK 90%... I make her speak English & eat peanut butter)
& Dane is about 50-50.... & this IS Bjørn's home so he is like a happy cat.....
Bjørn works for an international company so who knows? maybe he we could end up moving back to the states or even Canada... but I'm not holding my breath....

I have a fantasy though... in 14 years I will move back to the United States.... hopefully, the kids will want to go to College in the US & that will be a good excuse for us all to go back....
But I THINK I would move back when the kids are grown.... like I said... this is a FANTASY.. If Bjørn doesn't want to retire in the states, would I really go & try to start over on my own at 50? (OK... 52) I told Bjørn of course we would still be married... he could come over & visit anytime he wanted... & I could & come visit him... : ) (big smile)

this is the fantasy that gete me through my everyday... who knows? In a few years, I might not need my fantasy... this may feel like home... a girl can hope....

Three years ago when I arrived here... I could barely get out of bed... I was so depressed about having to move back... ( did I mention that this move wasn't my idea?- I did it because I thought it was best for the family)
I couldn't imagine being as happy as I am now...(not today, but most of the time....) (another big cheesy smile) I have friends, a job I love, my kids are happy & most days i love my hubby more than the day I married him....
when I have my "I want to go home days..." it is of course HIS FAULT that we are here....


UPDATE*** Bjørn just called from the hospital, where he met with a team of 6 Dr.s. He is going in for surgery on Monday to remove the rod in his arm.... I am just PRAYING that they don't let him lay there open from his shoulder down to his elbow like they did last time... American in Norway: Needing to RANT/VENT

I don't think I will be able to handle it again... (ok, yes I will handle it... for goodness sakes... just sick of having to.) - & I know how BLESSED we are that it was just his arm which is messed up after falling 3 stories... I just thought it was O V E R ....

Comments

Corinne said…
I think we all have those "Bad Norway Days." There are days when I can't even rustle up enough Norwegian to get me through the check stand at the grocery store and I feel like such an IDIOT. I've even ripped down my suitcase and thrown a weird mish-mash of things in, screeching about how I hate this place and JUST WANT TO GO HOME. Of course I don't really mean it, it's just frustration coming out, but it's hard to constantly be the fish out of water.

While I was in the military I was stationed overseas. You never realize how there is a protective cultural bubble when you're in a community like that until it doesn't exist. Basic things like lacking brand recognition can become so perplexing on a simple grocery run. It all loses it's cutsey feel after a while, because there is no support system to fall back into.

I hope things go well with your family, soon. And I hope you feel better about Norway soon, too. Sometimes just writing out the feelings can release so much. Why else do we blog?
Yep, why else do we blog, indeed? (pointing at last comment)

Hope it made you feel better to let it all out! There are days when I want to run away too, and I'm safely stashed in the USA....Hope hope hope all goes well with Bjorn's arm.
I hear ya. I feel that way living in the opposite side of my home country (Nova Scotia when I'm from BC, Canada), so I really can't complain. As wonderful as Australia was when I lived there, I still got homesick (and then when I returned home I couldn't remember why!). I definitely know some days you just need to vent. Coincidently, I had one of those days today, but for a different reason. Hope you're feeling better soon.
The housewife said…
Hope you feel stronger soon.
Unknown said…
Funny thing is that much of what you write, I have also felt being a New Zealander living in the States :-)

I have times when I feel like I'm a fish out of water and very homesick .... and basically, I'm in an English speaking country.

However, the customs, ways of doing things, etc, are different from what I'm used to 'back home'.

There are times when I get so frustrated, that I just want to kick something..

Will be sending prayers you way, for things to go well for Bjorn..
Stacy Nyikos said…
Hang in there. I so know where you are coming from. Six years in Germany/Austria, and I yearned for American soil on lots of days. More and more toward the end. At times, I wanted to have a piece of paper printed up, like a namebadge, that listed the answers to all of the you-are-different questions, so no one would ask them anymore. I get it. I really do. Hang in there. Rant. Rant some more. Eat peanut butter, listen to American music, and hug your kids. This too shall pass. It will!!!
Debz said…
Oh Tressa I'm sorry. It really does seem like it's just one thing after another for you.
I hope that you can find happiness with your new "home" someday. And remember, we're not always happy here everyday either. We all have problems and sucky days where we wish we could be someone or somewhere else.
I know your mostly just down because of the issue with Bjorn's arm, but know that there are people there who care a great deal about you and want you to be happy.

BIG {{HUGS}}
Anonymous said…
errr, i just decided to move to fredrikstad. no job, no plans - just high hopes and excitement to move in w/my boyfriend. god, i hope i'm a floater! or at least a swimmer. i've managed in switzerland well enough.

i'm moving in june & would love to finally meet you then. in the meantime, i hope things improve for you & your husband. at least the weather is nice right now! ;)
Batgirl said…
I know that feeling! Just get it all out, and you'll feel better soon. Maybe take up a bit of kick-boxing and attach a photo of Norway on the punching bag? :-)

I hope they sort his arm out for good this time - I know they don't give you much confidence in their abilities - bedside manners are lacking in a lot of hospital doctors here. How about asking your US doctor friend which questions to ask the doctors? Or see if she can tell you what's going on? I know I wouldn't be sitting calmly by if my boyfriend had a hole in his arm - I'd probably make the whole hospital staff wish they were somewhere else... Just stick to your guns and know that you're doing what everyone should - and would - be doing in your case.
Janet said…
I applaud your honesty. Sometimes it is hard to toe that line between TMI and "being real" when you blog but it is nice to see differing sides. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think life in the U.S. is terribly chirpy these days ... http://www.squidoo.com/chinesedominance

Hope your hubby comes thru as stubborn and healthy as ever :)
MoMo 2.0 said…
Being honest and admitting we miss "home" or that we hate the circumstances of the day (or week or month) is what makes us stronger.....we help each other! Even though we have never met face to face (yet), I talk about you to Mads as "Tressa, my friend in Norway" and it gives me encouragement to know about this incredible network we all have.
so do not ever apologize for being negative or sad or blue...
If we don´t say it out loud, we will eventually wither away! And neither you nor I would be cute as withered women!! ;o) Texas sized hugs coming from DK!
sues2u2 said…
The situation w/ Bjorn's arm sounds like it sucks! There might be some good though; the bone might have recovered a bit to the point where they can leave the rod out. And leaving a wound like that open is actually not all that uncommon even in the states. It just looks really bad. (was a emt in another life)

I understand the whole need to vent about living in Norway; I live in Arizona but it's not Maryland & it's not Utah, where I'm from. Plus living out in the boondocks (the header on my blog is actually a pix of the valley that we live in) drives me nuts. Yeah, I've got a pool but I don't have great medical care. We have to drive 3 1/2 hrs to see my daughter's Dermatologist!

Hang in there. Thoughts, prayers & much bloggy love are heading your way! Prayers for Bjorn, his arm & the medical staff too.
magicdarts said…
I think you've got every right to hanker after home during the tough times, and I truly admire how well you've adapted to Norwegian life - nobody could ever question your commitment to that - really hope that things settle down for you in the next few weeks and they work out a proper treatment for Bjorns arm

On a much lighter note, I did see you brought up the subject of your stint at the American army bases - now there's a memory or two -

hey Dan how's Tressa is she ok?

Gee I think so!!

You take care, and if you want a laugh come and read some more of me amateur blogging - in today's ground breaking piece of journalism I'm assessing the positive benefits of applying advanced dance techniques to the accompaniment of Dick Van Dyke's finest chimney sweep hour in Mary Poppins, as part of an active lifestyle program for little man!
Frizzy said…
Each time I read one of your posts I remember my own feelings of frustration while living in Italy and YES I'm one who had the Airforce base as a safety net. That said, I too experienced your feelings of frustration. We lived amongst the Italians because we weren't allowed to live on base. We were one of only 2 American families who lived in our tiny town. Trust me, we too stuck out like sore thumbs and we were watched like hawks by our Italian neighbors. I get what you're going through but realize our situations are similar only to a point.

That said, I admittedly relied on my American bubble daily and it was still hard at times to get through a day without feeling utterly frustrated! If it takes one step to accomplish something in the US it will no doubt take 10 steps to do so in Europe. It was frustrating to travel because you might misread the rules for paying and parking your car. Trying to understand what a stupid automatic carwash machine was saying to me in Italian was just one of many things that sent me completely over the edge. Though I laugh at that situation now.

Your frustration is in knowing that your husband will be ok. In wishing you knew how to communicate effectively on behalf of your husband and his arm. Your frustration is because you want to be the best mom, wife and American/Norwegian there ever was! I get it! Think of it this way, even if you were in the US right now there is no guarantee you would feel any better about the care your hubby was receiving. Being sick SUCKS especially when you have no control over the situation. LET IT OUT GIRL! WE'RE HERE FOR YOU!
Stephanie said…
This is what I am most worried about moving to Brazil. Never fitting in. That and not being able to learn the language fast. I'm scared! But I know like you, I will have good days and bad days. I am hoping that I am a floater!! When I am having one of those days, I am sending you a ranting email :) hehehe
I hope you feel better now that you have vented. I'm sorry you get so down. I wish I could be there for you and just give you a hug.

:-)
Kelly said…
I wish I had the magic words/actions to make it all better for you...my heart hurts to read this (and sorry I was such a sucky friend today). You are such an incredible person; I find it so hard to believe that you would stick out like a sore thumb anywhere! If I had a valid passport, I would be looking up flights...I have to get that stuff in order!

Sending you a bunch of warm, fuzzy, hopeful thoughts. I love you!!!
Lizzie said…
:( sending you big hugs and dreams of velvetta cheese. i hope everything goes OK with your hubby. take a deep breath, keep your dreams alive hun, "the sun will come out tomorrow"
Unknown said…
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time and missing home. I miss home to but I am a cheater I know that within the next ten months, I'm leaving and going home.
I wish I could bring you along! You're kids don't mind sharing rooms right?

I hope today is a little better.
Jill said…
Oh T - it sure does sound like a horrible week... I'm so sorry to hear about Bjorn's arm. I remember last year when it first happened - unbelievable that you have to go through another surgery.

As for the expat thing and the lonliness that oftentimes comes with it - I SO hear you! While I don't live in one country permanently, I do move around enough that I never truly feel at home - and the first year is a killer.

I'll be hanging here in the States for the next 3.5 months - and I'm honestly fearful that I won't want to go back home... because even after just 5 days, I'm in heaven!

Thinking of you...
Donna said…
Giving it all up to move overseas is hard, no matter how you do it. But you're right - the fact that your move is permanent makes it more difficult in some ways. We move every 2-3 years. That's hard becasue we never settle in one place with the idea that we're finally home. At the same time, when I have those bad days, I can just look at the calendar and know how much longer I have to endure.

You're also right about letting your husband make this medical choice. The system might seem messed up to you, but he's the one who needs to find his comfort zone.

Good luck with the surgery. And hang in there...
beaverboosh said…
Hey girl,

I have been an expat most of my life and this is the most difficult place I have lived! We have an outstanding family life, winters in the mountains, summers by the fjord, but professional life sucks and this is not exactly a foreigner friendly place.

Were it not for the love of my life, I'd be outta her faster than a... I cope by being myself... as a Canadian, that means complaining about Norway alot... the locals hate it, but it makes me feel a bit better (to be fair, I complain just as much about Canada, the UK, the USA; France...)!

Don't take things here too seriously and do not underestimate the relationship between your happiness and where you live. Life is too short!
Laura said…
Well I guess everytime I get down and mad and depressed and sad and homesick I can come back to this post (I think I need to bookmark it), because you have all too eloquently said so many things that I feel.

I know I'll never really fit in. I know I'm always the awkward American, not that I want to be something else-- but I am the awkward American because I'm here.

I hope you're having a better day now. I wrote a post like this last week and never published it-- I'm saving it for a rainy sad day I guess.
Mary Ellen said…
I think you have every right to rant and rave all you want. I do want to tell you that I think you are doing a wonderful thing for your family, and doing a great job at it.

You're handling the whole thing with humor and grace - much better than I would, for sure!
hexe said…
I hope the surgery goes well. Vent away when you need to. It certainly doesn't make you a bad expat; it makes you human.
cat said…
Oh gosh, hang in there. So many South African are expats all around the world and I know it is really tough.
Miss Footloose said…
Of course you get homesick at times. And isn't it great you have a place to vent! It's healthy now and then, so don't feel bad.

I grew up in Holland, married an American in Kenya, lived in the US as well as in several developing countries for years. I love the expat life, but I'm also feeling rather rootless. My children are American, really. Although I'm very comfortable in the US, I still don't feel American. When I go to Holland I often feel like a foreigner, so I don't know where I belong! It's the price I pay for having wings, I guess. I do find that living internationally is wonderfully interesting and broadens your views. But yes, there are negatives to it as well.

Good luck!

Miss Footloose
www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com
Becky said…
Kind of strange how one can relate without really relating, understand? I've always lived in the U.S., but a longing for home, for times of the past, for my dear sweet husband is frequent and normal I think when things get rough, an escape I guess. Home is where your heart is, corny but that's what I tell myself sometimes. Here's love from the Oklahoma!
Karen said…
Oh Honey, I am so sorry. I have a friend that would call this a cheese and whine situation. I usually whine and she says cheese. So I am thinking you need to send me your address and I will send you cheese, Velveeta of course!
Southern Rose said…
Visiting from SITS. I have been an expat on and off over the past 17 years of marriage to a military man. Most of the time I had the American base to help us out. Our last "home" was Paris for almost 2 years. There was no base - we were hurled into the city with a 6-month French language course floating through our brains. My husband wanted to experience all French all the time (but not me), so we negotiated and put our children in a bilingual school. They had not had the 6-month French course and were taught from day one in French in half of their classes, so they had to learn quickly to keep up. As much as we loved our time there (the traveling was great), I feel so guilty now that I am back in the US when people ask me how it was living in Paris. It is an awesome place to visit - but to live in a foreign country, where you feel awkward daily learning that you do things totally differently culturaly and having to adjust so you don't stick out, is exhausting. I try to tell them how wonderful it was, but inside I am thinking it was hard!

www.southernrose.wordpress.com
Nicole said…
I think I could have written a post like this. Even I am living in your home country, it isn't mine.

I hope your husband is doing better soon and believe me I ended up with staph infections twice since I am in the States.
aasheim424 said…
Your post sound all too familiar, not sure what was going on with me this Easter but a few days out of the holiday i didnt want to do anything or talk to anyone. I told my husband i was homesick. For the first time in 5 months i just wanted to be back in America where you would NEVER find all the stores closed for 2 days straight! Not to mention twice in one week. Most days are ok but occasionally i really miss the convenience of the US and the familiarity. My language skills are still lacking no matter how hard or how much i study. Its such a pain!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....