New House Blues.... Ain't too proud to beg

Sigh.... now that everything has died down, family healthy, wedding over, kids back to school... I have something new to obsess about.... My new house....

I know WHAAA... but really, I have the new house blues.

I SWORE I would never build a house in Norway.... (I also swore I wouldn't marry a sailor, or allow my children to play with toy guns... & 5,000,000 other things... I should just stop swearing.)

The difference between building in Norway & U.S.? In the states, when you build a house, it is actually FINISHED when you move in.... Here in Norway, it is usually about 50% finished.

In the states when you buy a build job.... the price includes everything including grass....

In Norway... Oops... the price did NOT include the floors, or door knobs, toilets...... GRASS? PUH-LEESE.

What I wouldn't give for a little roll out grass (sod) just so our house didn't still look like a building site.

All of the little things we thought we would be able to do ourselves.... with my one armed wonder of a husband unable to do most of them now... we are kindda screwed... time & money wise....

I KNOW things will eventually come together... but I would like to have my House Warming party (everyone keeps asking ) while my house is still "NEWISH".

The real thing that has me totally overwhelmed is/are, our windows... I have 21 windows in my house, with NOTHING on ANY of them.
So far, it hasn't been a problem because we have had 20 -24 hours of light... so you were unable to see into the house... but it is only a matter of weeks until we have MUCH shorter days....

So what I am asking for /BEGGING for is some advice/help... from some of you CRAFTY nesters. I need help coming up with some ideas on covering 21 windows... on a budget.. but doesn't look like I am hanging sheets in my windows.

The CHALLENGING part.... I am totally UN CRAFTY... I can't sew, don't have a glue gun..(but I could go & buy one) we have no good craft stores..Hobby Lobby, Michael's.... & Norway is really expensive... any ideas of what I can do?

Heck while I am begging... I might as well make this a weekly thing... Every week I can put up what I am having problems with & see if you, my very crafty, nesting, readers can come up with a solution... (works for me...) We took a Norwegian house & made it more "American" bigger bedrooms, built in closets etc... however, we now have some weird nooks & crannies, that I am not sure what to do with... Anyone who loves a good design/decorating challenge? ... I got it for you here.

Any thoughts?

Comments

Suzanne said…
I'll put on my thinking cap. Actually sheets are the best fabric bargain. It's difficult to find some that don't look like sheets though.

Hey, did you ever get your bathroom furniture?.... I never was sure what bathroom furniture is.....do you mean the vanity?

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Thanks for visiting me and especially for voting!!! Your site is great and your kids, well they are, as expected, gorgeous!!!
I have a couple of ideas, because like you, I am living in a new construction and have hardley anything onthe windows. On my site is The Nester in my favs. Go to her site and click on window mistreatments. She does my kind of sewing-none. She uses hot glue, bonding tape, tassles and fringe, and uncut fabric. Do y'all have fabric stores up there? keep me updated and when I finish mine, I'll send you pix!! So glad Deb earned her keep and got us together! I can't wait to read more from you!!!!
Unknown said…
Thank you...both! Yes Suzanne we did get the "furniture" bathroom cabinet... although it is still sitting boxed because "Mr. One Arm" can't get it installed yet... Is it wrong to call him the one arm wonder? I just can't wait until he gets back to his old self!
can you rely on the kindness of others to go to Jo-Anne fabrics? They're having a half-off sale on their home decor fabrics....sigh...I'm too broke to even look at the Jo-Anne website or I'd go into fabric envy...anyway, it'd take a bit of scheming and measuring and volunteering to go shopping and sewing for you but hey, what are friends for? Hmmm...I do have an "emergencies only" credit card...could we have a "need curtain fabric" emergency? Yes, I'm volunteering! There's a curtain emergency in Norway!
Scrago said…
IKEA is always good.
What about blinds? I am not a curtain person...but I do like my mini blinds.
Unknown said…
Can you post some photos of your 'weird nooks and crannies' and perhaps a couple of the windows and an idea of your general decorating/colour ideas you are using in the house. That might help with the ideas.

A friend has seagrass and bamboo blinds through her house. They look good.
Unknown said…
Yes I will totally post some pictures. I know it is hard to throw out ideas when you have no idea what my style is... I ought to take some pictures of my favorite things... and we can start from there?

KAT... we are thinking about white wood blinds to go throughout most of the house... but our house is soo bland at the moment that I feel like I need/want to spice it up a bit... Ugh... where to start?

jessica.. I am planning a trip down to IKEA on Friday.. problem about that although I love a lot of their stuff... I liked it more in the US where not everyone had furnished their home with it. I can walk into a home here & pick out every piece bought at IKEA...
WOW... i have never commented on my own blog so much!
Tiff said…
I was lucky to find a clearance lot of curtains at Walmart...getting so many can be so expensive..good luck on your search...and also on getting your house all done and decorated..I am still decorating mine and I have been here since March.. :)
Kelly said…
Tree, I agree with Suzanne, sheets can be a great money saver...RE: J'ollie Primitives suggestions I have a Joanne's right down the street and I have in possession 50% off coupons...they have great bargain fabrics, etc. (I think they have a website too...) I could go and send you pictures if I know your color scheme and then send it out to you...or bring it over when I reach my 1st goal ;).
Of course there's always Tar-get...
Let me know what I can do to help...surely Di Ann must have ideas?!
Unknown said…
P.S. J'Ollie I am trying to figure out how to get as much done without having to get stuff sent over from the U.S. I may be calling you though... just need to figure out what I want to put up... SIGH
I'm so far from crafty it's ridiculous! Bu t I hear it is pretty easy to make window covering! I resorted to buying sheets and making them look like window coverings...next time I am just going to buy them and be done with it!

Hey if you need me to send you something over from the states...totally willing to do that! :)

Can't wait to see what you decide to do!
Robbi said…
Hei Tressa,

You should check out Michele at http://michelesmistakes.blogspot.com

She is an American in Sandefjord who built a house, so she may have some helpful tips. She blogged about the building of the house early in her blog.

I hope Bjørn feels better soon. I love your blog, you are hilarious!

Ha det bra,
Robbi i Lake Tahoe CA
Anonymous said…
Oh girl, I so totally feel for you. I am going to read back through your blog and see if I can 'understand' you more then I will come back and post any ideas I might come up with.
Debz said…
my first thought is I am gonna lose my #5 status as commenter cause crafty I am not! (lol)
I will still comment, but it will not be to offer advice on designs or crafty thoughts cause I suck at it.
hope bjorns arm is healing nicely. your gonna need his manly man self for all the work to get done.
Michele said…
Hello fellow American in Norway! Thank you for dropping in on my blog, and thanks, too, to Robbi i Lake Tahoe (et vakkert sted!) for pointing in my direction. Bloggers are the friendliest people, yes?

I'm enjoying your blog. Your children are gorgeous! Stakkars Bjørn! Jeg håper at han skal snart ha to armer igjen. :-)

I absolutely understand the panic about finding so many window coverings so quickly! Have you tried Kidd? They're always having a sale, and you can find good stuff there---blinds, gardiner, other hang-y things. And don't forget Interiorland! If you don't find window coverings there, you can buy a way koselig pillow to scream into. :-) Lykke til! Vi snakkes!
Anonymous said…
Ikea has some cute wood blinds and they're pretty cheap. I'm planning on getting some for our bedroom soon. Maybe you could put blinds up first to be practical and then decide on curtains later. Just my 2cents.

-Leanna
Andrea M said…
I don't have many ideas since you don't sew. I made the curtains for our old house in the US. Here we don't have any curtains but we do have those metal outside roll-down shades? Absolutely hideous but they don't let in a shred of light (or nosy neighbors of which I have plenty).

Like others said maybe try Ikea for some ready made type of stuff. I tried hanging my curtains here but the difference of plaster or whatever the walls are made of (concrete?) won't hold a screw like my trusty old sheetrock did. So hideous metal curtains it is.

Good luck in your search!
Linda Sue said…
Using sheets can be awesome! Cut the sheet both ends. vertical or horizontal and pull threads out of sections until you are satisfied with the airyness, dye fabric in coffee or tea or beet juice, blueberries,cool aid...Fold over and fabric glue hem and top leaving enough room for tension rod. that way they are recessed into window frame- simple , fresh and minimal. No sewing or glue gunning involved. EASY!
Kelli Nørgaard said…
I guess 2 inch wooden blinds are not an option, huh?! That is what I would do...call the guy at Lowes and have him come and install... oh wait, that was in my PAST LIFE! LOL. I cannot wait to see what you end up doing because I am NOT crafty either...but I love admiring everyone else´s talents!

and the idea of the begging blog.. I love it! I think we could have one for all of us expats to post on.. and see who can "meet our need" from around the world!! :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....