A is for American... & Austria

OK... first time E V E R I am going to try my best to participate in a blogging CHALLENGE..







I will be blogging an A-Z challenge. Every day a different letter... 

 I thought I would try to use this challenge to tell you a little more about me... my family.. and my life as an expat in Norway.

today the letter is A... and for me..

 A   is   for   A M E R I C A N...






There isn't a day that goes by that I am not reminded of who I am .. and where I come from.
And how much I miss my homeland and family..

Europeans are always amused when Americans say .. oh I am 1/2 this and 1/4 that...etc.

Guilty... I used to do the same thing..


I have been asked
 "when do Americans stop saying I am  1/2 this or that.. and just say..
I AM AMERICAN... ?"

I am pretty sure Americans start identifying themselves as AMERICANS when they become expats.. LOL

I dropped all of the 1/2 this and that.. when I realized how confusing it was for my children..

"Mom - are we 1/2 Norwegian 1/4 German 1/4 Scottish? -
 Where does the American fit in..? "

- I am thankful for all of the opportunities I have had to live and travel  abroad...
but the older I get.. and the chance of my going "home" becomes less and less..
the more patriotic I become... 

Proud to be an AMERICAN in Norway... :-) 

In addition, I am going to try to see if I have  traveled to a place with the letter of the day..


 A is for  AUSTRIA..




From a great European road trip, a couple of years ago.. :-)

Oh.. and ARGENTINA.. a few years ago.. on a wine tasteing with work .. :-)

Comments

Mary Aalgaard said…
Beautiful. Is your husband also American? We do have a bad habit of saying what our heritage is, and not claiming American.
http://pastryandpoetry.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html
Unknown said…
I think it's because we're the children and grandchildren of emigrants.
So we honor their heritage by claiming it!
I do it too and I live here in the US born and raised here. I'm an American but I'm half Irish- both grandmothers came off the boat and so on..... Great topic!
rach said…
I ran across the same thing when I moved overseas!! In the states we always broke it down and here its just your nationality. (although the majority of people you meet here are 100% irish so it wouldnt take them long to break it down haha!)
Whenever I am in Scotland, my response to "Where are you from?" is "Texas." Even here in the States, I (and most Texans if you notice) will not say, "Houston" or "Austin" as folks from other states do - "I'm from Chicago" and so forth. Texans typically say, "I'm from Texas." Don't know what that is, but we're state-specific instead of city-oriented. Welcome to the Challenge and good luck!
pbquig said…
I understand, I've always been part this or part that until we traveled to Germany and then England and Scotland. Then I was what they saw American! I look forward to your travels.
Pam

Quig Land
A Pirate Looks Past Sixty
Pirate Knitting
Empty Nester said…
Excellent point! I absolutely never thought about that! How is it in Norway? It's one place I've always wanted to visit.
momto8 said…
fun to read and interesting points! Norway is so beautiful too! lucky you with your travels!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
Nicole said…
Very neat post! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I love the letter for every day concept!!

I can't even get a blog post up a week much less every day. I'll just have to live through you! :)
Great start of your A to Z!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comment.

Doris
Adrienne said…
I've never thought of it that way, but I haven't done any overseas travelling. Yes, I too am guilty of breaking down my heritage, and many in my family take great pride in examining the roots of our family tree! Interesting post!
Stephanie said…
Honestly, I don't even try and figure out what my kids are. They're just Americans..and I am too. Occasionally I will comment on my 1/4 Italian, cause it's the only thing I know without a doubt. My dad is half Italian. The rest...who knows. I am a mutt!
Thanks for visiting my blog- your blog title intrigued me so I came on over. Your post resonates with me. I especially liked the line about Americans identifying themselves as Americans when they become expats. So true! My first taste of that was when I moved to Canada and married a Canadian. I had no idea there was a fiercely patriotic heart pounding in my chest. I've been living outside of the USA for 14 years now- in Canada and now in the Philippines, but I'm still American inside!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....