I'd like to buy the world a coke....

Remember that commercial... where everyone was so nice to each other. I MISS that, I want that, I need that ...N I C E N E S S


For the most part...Americans are nice people... WE ARE! Despite what the rest of the world may think about us... we are generally nice people & good neighbors....


My dear friend Leanna an American also living here with me.... made the kids & I a casserole this weekend... so it was just one thing less I had to think about with Bjørn in the hospital...


I meant a lot... Not just because I didn't have to think about dinner... but because it gave me a little piece of home... Not easy being away from home when bad things happen.


Not a single neighbor has been by to ask if Bjørn is ok.... Only ONE neighbor came out to be with my kids while their daddy was sprawled all over ground bleeding waiting for the ambulance. Is that weird or is it just me being sensitive?


We moved to Kansas City from Norway when I was pregnant with Dane. We didn't know anyone in the neighborhood... but as soon as I delivered & my family had put the "its a boy!" sign on the mailbox we were bombarded with meals, & flowers & well wishes from all the neighbors we didn't know... (this was the perfect opportunity for them to come & meet us...) You know that is what we as Americans do....


When I moved here 3 years ago...I decided I was going to stay "Me" I would look strangers in the eye & smile when we passed on the street... I would NOT cut in line just because it is OK here.... I would remember to say please & thank you... & I would continue to do thoughtful things like baking cookies for the neighbors or giving gifts to the teachers even if others thought I was weird or too "American".

I try to do random acts of kindness...like give people my parking ticket if I still have time on it... or letting someone go ahead of me in the checkout line if they have less.... But I have to say, it is getting harder & harder to keep my "sunny disposition" when you don't get it back.

I have been talking America up a LOT lately... I hope the immigration officer in Chicago dosen't burst my bubble when we get back to the U.S. in 3 ... (yes...T H R E E) weeks...

So I would at least like to buy my neighbors a coke... and show them how we do things at home...
Maybe I will try to organize a "block party" when we return from the states so we can all get to know each other? I am sure all of the neighbors will think I am bit over the top... but hopefully I will start to grow on them (kindda like a Fungus...) & they will feel comfortable with saying H E L L O when we pass each other on the street? Might be worth a try...

Comments

Unknown said…
I may not be able to buy you a coke (I love that commercial, too!), but I did give you an award! Come over to my blog to get it!
running42k said…
I'm for the sentiment, but the current administration's foreign policy is making it difficult to like Americans.

I know Bush and his stooges don't represent all Americans, but the fact that he was re-elected doesn't help the americans cause.
Anonymous said…
You ain't in Kansas anymore. :) And not all places in a America areas you described it.

I have lived in the East and West. People in the West are much more friendly than they are in the East.

I can't remember how it was when I lived in Norway. It was more than 30 years ago.
Unknown said…
OK boys... No need to poop on my parade.... I realize America is not perfect... but I did have good neighbors...
Having spent most of my life in the Mid West & Texas... I think people are nice... Now the 3 years I spent in Delaware... different story, but I will save that for another post... (No offense Kelly)
Thanks for dropping by my blog! I love reading yours, especially how you met your husband. I hope he feels better soon!
Debz said…
Tressa I agree with you - I think we (Americans) are awesome. I hope you have a good time when you get to go back "home" and I sooo wish I could be there for your block party. Stock up on the coke!

Hope Bjorn is doing well.
scargosun said…
I think it's a great idea, the block party. I wish I coudl be there for it!
Rhea said…
It's true that some places in the U.S. aren't as friendly either. Our new neighborhood isn't as friendly as I had hoped.

BTW, don't forget to change your link to my site (on your sidebar) with the new web address.

texaswordtangle.blogspot.com
Suzanne said…
You can only try. I agree....NICE MATTERS. People here in the American midwest are nice. I can't speak for what happens in downtown Chicago, but generally we are very nice.

I think you need to stay true to who you are. Will they get it....maybe not.

Living in another culture is quite difficult. Harder than you might imagine. The malaise you describe is rampant in Honduras where everyone throws their hands up and say, "Nothing you can do, that's the way it is."

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Jill said…
Oh many - I totally agree with this post! It's relatively easy to point out an American overseas - (not only are they the ones wearing baseball hats and shorts while touring religious areas ... and talking a little too loudly) they're also the ones you hear saying please and thank you almost every time!

I don't know why different cultures find common courtesy a thing of the past... but I too will be darned if I'm going to stoop down to their level.

Of course, I will honk my horn like the rest of them...
Angie's Spot said…
Wow, only 1 neighbor came by to see how Bjorn was doing? Yikes. It really is a different world outside the U.S. We welcome you home in 3 weeks and go have a Coke on me! :-)
Preach on sister! America rocks :)
Unknown said…
I agree, Americans, on the whole, are nice! Heck, I even married one!! :-)

I think though, that the level of friendliness can vary throughout the US.

My experience has been that people I have met that come from small cities, towns and rural areas are alot friendlier than those that live in the bigger cities.

Mind you, I only have to open my mouth and speak and EVERYONE is friendly. For some reason, American's just love English. Australian and New Zealand accents...

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....