Baby steps...I can't do it all....

Yesterday, I hit my breaking point.... I knew it was coming... I have tried to snap myself out of this FUNK... out of this homesickness... of just wanting everything to back to normal.

Dane also hit his breaking point... and unfortunately we hit it together.... what started as my asking him to turn the TV off...& putting his laundry away... all of the stress of the past 3 weeks came spewing out.... from both of us...

Sometimes it is hard to for me to remember that he is 9... that he doesn't want to be, or can't be a trooper for his mom.... sometimes it is hard for me to remember that it is HIS daddy in the hospital... or him being dumped at grandma's AGAIN...so mommy can be at the hospital with Daddy / Eva... & this summer has seriously SUCKED for him.

Just when we had hit the breaking point...the doorbell rang.... OH Sh#T, GREAT.... this is really what I need right NOW..... so I answered the door with my big puffy swollen face from crying.. & it was my brother in laws, girlfriend Marianne. Just passing by...wanted to see how things were.... (HA...how things are? I feel like I am losing my FREAKING mind... I feel like I have fallen into a giant pit... & not sure how I am going to carry my babies on my back, to get out of this mess....)

Actually, that is exactly what I needed.... Help. I told her things were fine...through my sobs... and that I didn't need any help. She parked herself on my couch & refused to leave until we made a plan to get me through the next week.

Marianne insisted that I call work & tell them I would not be coming in.... not for the next few days... I explained I couldn't do that.... & she insisted that YES...I could, & I would, & she would not be leaving until I made the phone call....

Which I did...sobbing, apologizing... telling them I would do my best to make it in tomorrow... God bless her...Pia my co-worker, (who along with Kenneth,has been covering my butt for the last 3 weeks since everything started), told me to give her an hour & that she would get everything taken care off to get me through next week..... which she did...

Marianne insisted on taking Dane with her... (good for both of us) so I could get Eva taken care of. Once again....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...

What was to be about an hour long treatment, turned out to be a 6 hour ordeal. Right before we left for the hospital...Eva managed to knock her IV out. I didn't think it was going to be that big of ordeal.... I knew it would be unpleasant, getting stuck again.... but didn't know how bad it would be.

They had to stick Eva 12 (TWELVE) times in order to get a vein...all the while me having to help hold her down and her screaming, begging "Mommy, take me home" Mommy, pleeeeeease don't let them hurt me"
Uggg... I doubt last night will be something I EVER forget. I am the mommy, who tears up every time my kids had to get their shots.... & when Bjørn was home..insisted that He take them because I can't deal with my babies being hurt.
The Dr.'s gave her 2 doses of sedatives...trying to get her to relax... but she was seriously like a caged animal with super human strength.... after the 11th try, there was talk of putting her under, in order to get the IV in. But thanks to my feeding her after we got to the hospital that wasn't an option. FINALLY, they got it in.

Before we got to the hospital... I called Bjørn & gave him a piece of my mind...(NO ONE was safe from me yesterday...) He needed to get his butt out of bed & be there for Eva & Me....
This might sound a bit harsh... but darn it....but this is the man who has always insisted that I COULD do it.... I could make it on my own in Turkey for 10 days after my appendix ruptured... I could handle the baby on my own after a week when I had my first emergency c-section, & he was called off to Africa... or baby # 2 & we was called off to Russia.

He & his family come from a pretty tough stock...like birthing babies in the back yard tough... He could surely drag his butt 6 feet to the elevator to be with his daughter.... even if they had to wheel him down.....

Lucky for HIM...he was there with me last night.... He couldn't help hold her down... we were afraid that she might kick his arm.... but at least he was there so I could see him out of the corner of my eye....& know that he was there with me. I asked for help & I got it.

I feel bad... like I am making more out of this than it really is.... I have read other blogs with families that are fighting all odds.... and still positive & upbeat & looking on the bright side of things.... & I feel like I should really just get over all of this.... I KNOW that things could be so much worse.... but I needed this breakdown.... I needed help....

Last night as I went down to the gift shop to buy some candy to bribe Eva with... I looked over at a book bin..... I don't buy books in Norwegian because if I find the time to read I want to be able to relax & not have to concentrate... But right on the top of the pile was "Eat, Love, Pray" IN ENGLISH.... the only English book in the store.... & one copy lying on top. Sign? Ummm I think so....

So when I finally made it home last night...got Eva in to bed & called to check on Dane.... I filled my big ol' IKEA glass... (wine glasses are too small at this point) with my boxed wine... (nice, I know...never said I was a classy broad) & read myself to sleep.

Things are looking up, Bjørn made it through what we are hoping will be his LAST surgery this morning...Eva is feeling great, although her mouth looks like it is drooping a little more... Dane had a great night with his uncle & cousins...but misses me... (I was afraid he might hate me forever) & decided to pass on the cabin with uncle #2... & just wants to hang out with me....

I am trying to drop the "Debbie Downer" posts... just hang in there & give me one more week OK? It is going to get better...I just have to take baby steps to keep from falling again.

Love, T

Comments

Simple Answer said…
I'm glad you posted. I was thinking about you and wondering how things were. Nothing is more painful than having your kids go through something like that. I've always chickened out and had my husband handle it. Sending happy thoughts your way. Wish there was more I could do.
Angie's Spot said…
Ok, let's keep this positive. So glad to hear that Bjorn has reached his last surgery. Yay! So glad to hear that Eva is doing better and sleeping in her comfy bed at home. Yay! Glad to hear that Pia & Marianne came to the rescue at the exact right time. Yay, yay! And I don't believe in coincedence, so that book was there for a reason. :-) Still sending lots of healing zen your way!
Angela said…
Oh honey, you do NOT have to apologize for being frazzled about all of this. What you've been hit with is like the perfect storm of family hell. I am so sorry you're having to deal with it all at once, but yes, take baby steps and just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Someone told me recently that I have a bad habit of worrying too far down the road. Just get through today, today. Don't worry about tomorrow yet. I know it is easier said than done, but try to just live in the moment. Eva's treatments will only last a few more days, and you'll get a good routine worked out there. Dane will understand, Bjorn will be home soon recuperating and your summer will, will, WILL get back to normal. I know it doesn't seem that way yet, but it will. Just keep hanging in there :0) We'll keep you in our prayers.

Love from the States!
Unknown said…
Tressa-DO NOT apologize for what you are going through. I think you are an amazingly strong woman. I continue to pray for your family.
Suzanne said…
Tressa - I'm very sorry you've been inundated with all these terrible challenges. Don't compare your trials with anyone else's. If you feel terrible and overloaded..... that's how you feel. It's a good thing to let the lid off and explode a bit. It's not a negative thing for Dane to see this because children need to see the realities of life...that NO, mommies are not superhuman beings that can do it all. They are human, at times strong, at times frail.

Do you see how things work? Just when you were needing help, but thinking that you couldn't ask for it, help arrived. And when you were needing a life raft, it appeared in a gift shop. There's no coincidence that it was the only book in English.

Come here and flip out if you need to because this can be a place where you let off steam without burning those around you at home. HA HA!!!

Tressa, just from your words I can tell you're such a happy and wonderful person. Everyone here is cheering for you to make it through this current mess.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Andrea M said…
I don't know how you even managed to post. You seriously need to cut yourself some slack. Your husband is in the hospital, your daughter is being treated for Lyme disease, you are living in a country that is not your own... I don't know how you managed to get this far. I am certainly glad you did though :)
If posting about makes you feel even he slightest bit better than no one is going to mind. After all it's your blog.
I hope things start looking up soon.
Teri said…
You are only human, and it is really okay to vent and get it all out. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but that's okay. I'll send good thoughts your way.
Found you on Candid Carrie.
We're with ya honey, one day at a time. XOXO

PS. thinking..behaving as if I were Superwoman bought me a ticket to the Looney Bin, don't go there, come here.
Jill said…
Oh Tressa... please tell me that this is going to pass. I feel for you - and want so much for your daughter and your hubby to feel better.

Your brother in laws girlfriend sounds like an angel. What I wouldn't give for a little angel to take my devils for a few hours right now. :)

As always, thinking of you... and sending good wishes your way.
Rhea said…
Don't worry about the "debbie downer" posts. You need to get this off your chest! Just writing it all out is cathartic!!

Don't belittle what you're going through. It's a lot, and a lot OUT OF THE NORMAL for you. Enough to make me a wreck as well!

It sounds like your co-workers and your sister-in-law were wonderful!! I'm so glad you have such wonderful support right now.

Hang in there, Tressa!!
Sydney said…
i'm sending you a huge hug all the way from Milwaukee. hang in there sweetie!
Unknown said…
Don't apologise for the posts. You need to vent, so vent.

Those blogs that you read, where people are going through stuff but being upbeat and positive. Well, that may not be the way it is behind the scenes. And sometimes those people do end up crashing and when they do, it just ain't pretty. People react in different ways to things.

You're doing a great job of carrying a really heavy load,so be proud of yourself.

I'm so glad that you have Marianne and Pia there for you. Sounds like they really care about you.

*HUGS*
scargosun said…
OMG! You are NOT blowing ANYTHING out of porportion. This is your family we are talking about here, 2/3 of which is seriously injured or sick. PLEASE, PLEASE vent to us!
I am thrilled that B had his last surgery. The is truly a big hill that you guys have climbed. Poor Eva, she WILL be ok. Kids are so resiliant. My sis was in the hospital, in traction for 7 days when she was 5. Now it's just one of those things that happened when she was little (she also can do this gross thing with her elbow b/c of the way it healed, ick!)
Anyway, we are here for you. I am so in awe of how you have handled it so far. I don't know if I could do it.
Anonymous said…
Hi, Came over from Candid Carrie and with your last post thought I would read some more. I remember popping in a few weeks ago after your husband had his accident.

Honestly, don't know how you kept it together for 3 weeks before having this meltdown moment.

Prayers go out to you and your family.....for a quick recovery for your husband and little girl....for your little boy to not feel left out (I'm sure he's feeling a bit helpless too)...and for your sanity to take care of everyone! You are doing a good job!

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....