Selfish Parents..what do you think?

OK, so I found this great blog yesterday... GutsyWriter ... when scrolling through her blog..instead of doing the 999 things I needed to get done..
I found this post...which got me thinking... SELFISH PARENTS MAKE BETTER PARENTS ....I have been thinking about this for the past day now..

Although I don't like the word selfish because selfish makes me feel GUILTY.... being "selfish" parents is something Bjørn & I have have been working on for a while now....

Growing up, I recall seeing 2 kinds of parents... those that put their kids above everything else.. & each other...
& those parents too occupied with themselves... to give a crap what their kids were doing...
But i never really experienced/noticed a healthy balance..(maybe I didn't really notice it? Maybe I was too busy looking at cute boys? )

I was 30 when I met a couple... my friends parents, that I was in total AWE of.... Although married for, lord knows how many years, they were still so LOVING to one another... so nice, so kind, & really REALLY enjoyed spending time together & with their family & all of their grown children's friends..... We would spend weekends down at their lake house & as the mom would be making breakfast for all of us... the dad would be sneaking up behind her giving her a little kiss... or grabbing her butt... (in a very sweet..non pervy way...) I remember sitting there at the breakfast bar thinking... THAT is what I want .... (So every one from Kansas City that reads my blog knows who this couple is because they are JUST THAT STINKEN CUTE! )

Now, their adult daughters have assured me that they weren't always this cute & perfect... which in turn gave me hope for my own marriage....

Oh believe me... when we got married I KNEW Bjørn would be chasing me around the kitchen until we were well into our 70's.... & of course.... as we all know, the chase does begin to slow down a bit... especially after the first baby arrives.... & when he would finally "catch me" I would slap his hands off of my butt or whatever & tell him I didn't have time because I had 25 loads of laundry to do & a screaming baby.... Anyone been there? ANYONE?

It is an easy trap to fall into... putting the kids ahead of everything else... me... GUILTY... lets just say I had both kids sleeping between us until they were 3... (Dane was 4) & not cause I am all about the family bed thing... it was just easier to give into my kids & piss my husband off.... & for me to get a good night sleep.

Lord, where am I going with this post? not really sure... but something happened about a year & a half ago... can't tell you when or why... but all of a sudden Bjørn & I started making time for each other... It started with an occasional date night... & kicking the kids out of our room.... putting them down at a decent hour even on the weekends so that we could have a glass of wine together & snuggle on the couch without the kids.....

& it has snowballed into us really liking each other again... & doing nice stuff for each other & wanting to spend more time together...

I would like to say that we don't really put ourselves first... & the kids last... because that isn't the case, we have been working on balancing things better.... In the long run I think our family as a whole is MUCH better now that the kids aren't controlling everything...

I remember some writer on Oprah who said she loved her husband MORE than her kids... (I think that may have been for shock value to sell some books...?) Umm, I wouldn't say THAT... lets be honest, if we were on a sinking boat I would grab my babies first & let hubby make a swim for it... (that sounds so HORRIBLE out loud doesn't it? ) But i do agree with the writer..(anyone know who i am talking about?) that you can't put your marriage on the back burner until the kids leave home... I mean 18 years of being on the back burner do you even know each other anymore?

Sorry there will probably be lots of lovey dovey posts about Bj this week... (next week is our 13th anniversary together)

So any thoughts? Go check out GutsyWriter very insightful blog....

Comments

Khadra said…
I like gushy sweet posts about your husband, keep them coming lol!

I want to be that couple too. Im very very lucky, my husband is extremely helpful and involved in the kids and my daily life. We put the kids to bed between 7 and 8 every night and then we spend time together until we fall asleep. I love it. I cannot imagine things any other way, and luckily for me he cant either. However date nights and true time alone really do have to wait, we have four kids and no baby sitter.

Im happy that you are beginning to find a balance!
hexe said…
It must be the time of year for weddings as my anniversary was yesterday. I don't think it is selfish to have an identity outside your kids. This is something I struggle with as in the past year I have become at SAHM, but for now that is what best for my husband, kids and me. Even so, I am taking a class for myself, but also so my children can see that my whole identity is not wrapped up in being Mom.

Also Hubby and I schedule a week and a few overnights throughtout the year where we travel without the kids. As a parent, I am proud that I can leave my children with family for a week and while they miss us, they have their own adventures and are excited to tell us about their seperate lives. At some point your kids are going off on their own and your job is to prepare them for that independence. One way is to show them how to have a balanced and happy life. Good for you for finding a way to do that.
Julie H said…
We've always been kind of selfish going out and going on vacation without the kids. It's at home where everyone is so busy that it is difficult.
Great post! My BFF was just talking about this the other night.
Frizzy said…
I enjoyed this post and I enjoyed hers as well. My hubby and I have been through and are going through the adjustment phase of finding time for eachother and still enjoying time with our dtr. Re. intimacy you are so NOT alone. Who has the energy after chasing a toddler or 2 around all day and taking care of the house too? I've been trying to get my hubby to join a dance class or co-ed sport to get out of the house together. It's hard to find/make the time but soooo important for us. I appreciate your post today.
Cristin said…
I just cut back on my hours at work to spend more time with hubby... we decided it would better to be a little broke and see each other more that two nights a week...

I checked out GusyWriter.. she's great!
Lizzie said…
i am in the "kids need me" phase right now, just about to kick them out of our bed and snuggle with my hubby. it is coming, i can feel it. :) next time he grabs my butt i'll laugh an think of you. HA HA
Becky said…
Great post! If you don't have a healthy happy marraige parenting is more difficult, life is more difficult.

My superman and I have been married for 15 wonderful years, and I can honestly say that going into this cancer phase of our marriage would have been almost devastating if we had not had a STRONG, solid love for each other. Life won't always be peachy, prepare for the bumps, and any marriage/family can make it through!

Again, great post, and thank you for the sweet encouraging comments on my superman's kryptonite blog.
scargosun said…
I think that's fabulous! I think saying that it is selfish is an exageration. I mean, you guys are still people, not just parents, right? There are still needs that heed to be fulfilled. If you don't get them, then resentment sets in. BTW, I don't think that it is 'love' that makes you grab your kids first and making hubby swim, it's because you are their protector and your hubby CAN swim.
Linda Sue said…
Tressa, babe, You have nothing to worry about! I knew that motherhood would be about 4,000% and that is what I gave, that is what it takes, so I did everything under the sun BEFORE I had baby and marriage. I love that child more than anyone on this earth and would do anything for him. It has been 21 years, I am stronger, guilt free and still have a sense of me-ness- not selfishness. Marriage is solid, down to earth and more respectful of one another and the work that we have done with each year. Romance is bullshit- A sort of made up picture story contrived by those who live contrived lives...Your's is so real and so wonderful- YOU have nothing to worry about and your husband and children can thank their lucky stars that you are mom and wife to them!
Very thought-provoking. I think the husband/wife relationship is essential to happy family-dom. I really truly believe that.

Practicing it though...that's a little trickier. Sigh.
Ritch in Love said…
My husband and I have discussed this topic at great length...

At the risk of sounding like I'm the evil stepmom with a wart on my nose, I have to tell you that I needed to know I came first in my husband's life. He had two children from a previous marriage, which if you come to my blog, you know that I LOVE!

That being said: I had never been married and I wanted a chance to have that happy life and a family too. But I've always known that I needed to have him put me first. It sounds beyond selfish when I put it on this computer screen, but it's true.

We chose to live in a different state than his kids. We would see them no less by doing so. Though we were bad-mouthed by everyone in TX for doing so. And of course I was made out to look like a horrible second wife. When in reality, these children consume my thoughts and my heart.

But by moving away we were able to find ourselves, set our goals, and move forward. He deserved a second chance at life and I deserved a first chance at it!

We love our life and we LOVE each other. At times it slows down, and that's normal. But other times it speeds up.

Date night is a must.

Communication is a must!

And always reminding one another of your love for each other is mandatory!

It sets a good example for the kids and one day, hopefully, they will seek out a future with someone that reminds them of the happiness they saw in our marriage and in our home.

Life comes full circle. :)
I so loved this post!

John & I started doing a date night on Tuesdays about 10 years ago. Being a "young" couple (we have been together since I was 15 and he 17)we didn't want to be a statistic and divorce....so we go on a date every week so we can keep falling in love with each other. Communicate and share. At first I felt real guilty leaving our girls...but I quickly got over that. You need to be selfish and do things for yourselves. Even with the girls gone off to college we still do date night.
I'm glad you are finding what works for you!
Jen said…
I think that you hit the nail on the head. You kids need attention and so does your spouse. I believe that kids are happier when their parents are happy in their marriage. That is why it is so important to make time for each other. Leave the kids for a weekend. They will survive with out you. Jeff and I did, last weekend we went away and it was awesome!
My mom raised four of us as a single parent back in the day when divorce was tantamount to being "the Scarlet Woman." She ALWAYS took time for herself or she would have gone insane.
When she married my wonderful (adoptive) dad they made it clear to us that they required time together. Alone. They raised us to be independent.
My sister calls it "benign neglect." I like that phrase much better than "selfish parents!"
Balance is so complicated for me. Great post and lots to think about!

I'm thankin' God right now that I don't have children! What a hard job.
That Girl said…
Great reminder and I so need to start putting more effort into my marriage and not just into being a mom. THx!
The best advice I ever got about marriage was to put it first. That the center of your family has to be the marriage. Not the kids. We have date nights. And make time for each other. And we each have time to do our own thing too...

And it works for us :-)

Happy anniversary!
Unknown said…
I have to say there needs to be a balance. We did (or I did anyway) put my son first a lot, and probably still do. But now that we have two kids underfoot, I find myself lusting for a babysitter on the weekends! :)
We had a good summer where there were lots of trustworthy girls we knew to babysit and now that they have all moved...it sucks. No more date nights. You have to somehow make it work by not either ignoring the kids or the spouse. And that is not easy.
Cassoulet Cafe said…
Thank you for telling us about Gutsy Blogger.
And I like how you put your thoughts out loud...it makes us all feel better or validated or understood. :)
Mammatalk said…
Great post. The love between husband and wife is the root of the family. Everything grows from it. It needs to be watered. Very difficult during the young, young kid stage, I know, but it can be done.
My blogging has brought my hubby and I closer together. At night, I read to him what I wrote and we crack up at the silliness of it! :-)
Tiff said…
So know how you feel...I love my children more than the world..and my husband the same..but you have to but your marriage almost in front of the kids...cause if you have no bond with your partner then you have no marriage..and no marriage makes for a very unhappy unhealthy family life for all!
Laural Out Loud said…
My husband understands how hard it is for a mom to be torn a thousand different ways, and how TIRED it makes. So when he comes home from a long hard day of work and all he wants is just a long hard hug, I pause for the 10 seconds it takes to make him feel loved. Sometimes I have a soapy pan in my hand, or wet laundry that I'm moving to the dryer, but he is always so much more important. We're learning the little ways to make each other feel loved and like we haven't lost each other to parenting.

I've recently started readin Gustsy Writer, too, and loved that post!
binks said…
My friend's mom used to tell her "put your relationship before the kids and make sure to spend time as a couple because the kids are going to be gone and have their own lives, sooner than you think". I did it all backwards and got married after my son was self sufficient. Makes for lots of alone time.
Anonymous said…
I think that I LOVE this post! This is what i want, to be married and HAPPY well into our senior years! I think that it is definetly important to lead a balanced life between your relationship and your kids. You have to! Not only for you, but for your kids! You should be setting the example of what a GOOD marriage should be. My parents got divorced after my sister and I were in college. Though they had a TERRIBLE marriage and I think they were waiting til we left. I always admired those with good marriages and wanted to mirror them.

But let me just say this about the end of your post. Even though if you were in a sinking boat you would grab your babies first is a GOOD thing. It is your Momma's instinct to do so and a good thing. In the end, you gave life to them, you are responsible for them. Not your hubby, though I am sure you would go to rescue him as soon as the babies were good :)

anyway good post :) thanks!
I remember hearing that women say that, but I don't remember who-just wanted to say...I remember too!
Diane Mandy said…
Gutsywriter sounds like a smart lady. There is nothing wrong with mom's doing for themselves sometimes. If you are always give, give, give to others, you run the risk in giving out.
G in Berlin said…
That was actually Ayelet Waldbaum who is married to Michael Chabon (she writes mysteries, he writes literature- his latest was The Yiddish Policemen's Union- fabulous book). I remember the furor. I think they have 4 kids and he is totally hot;).
We also have a family bed when the kids won't sleep and I am tired of it, but it does decrease as the kids age... We finally have babysitters and are starting to have a"date night" and wow- I forgot how good it is.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....