DISTURBING....

Monday I was off of work....


Had my coffee..got my kiddos dropped off at school & I headed to the tanning salon....

OK you caught me... I am a fake baker... I enjoy the warmth of the bed especially on grey Norwegian mornings.... I like the brown color of my skin...


My tanning is probably one of the few things I have in common with most of the Norwegians I know...
We/they like a bit of color...some more than others....


As I slid into the bed I began to calculate how many more times I could go tanning before I leave for Argentina.... important to have a good base ya know...


Ooooo I can't wait..the pictures I am going to take... the blog posts... oh wait.. I haven't finished blogging about my trip this summer... I totally blew the Paris bit off... (see what it is like in my head?...C R A Z Y)


On my way home I popped into the grocery store where I spotted one of the national Norwegian newspapers... with the headline.. "SHE TANNED HER SELF TO DEATH". (sounds a bit National Enquirer-ish so of course I had to pick it up....


The images/story are still lingering in my mind...
The story is about a girl named Sabina who had skin cancer...

Disturbing...
I know people with skin cancer...my dad had it...my mother in law...my BFF...
I watched while all 3 had small spots removed... all 3 have been blessed & not had the cancer return...
I have been more careful & haven't allowed myself to BURN since my dad was diagnosed...
I know I am at risk for skin cancer... all of the years of life guarding with nothing but a little BABY OIL on my skin... my high cheekbones & chubby cheeks guaranteed I would end up with blisters on those cheeks... at least once a summer ..every summer...throughout my childhood...
Yet still...I TAN. or at least until Monday when I read Sabina's story..
From what I understand...Sabina was diagnosed with skin cancer... had the spot removed.. only to have it return the following year.. only this time is was very aggressive & fast spreading. It was at this time she started her blog SABINAS KAMP (Sabinas fight)
After reading the story I went over to the blog... her partner had written a post saying the family was distressed by the headline... That wasn't the reason they agreed to go out with the story...
Why am I writing about this?
Because maybe there is someone out there LIKE ME... who doesn't think this could happen to them... Sabina (mother of 2 children) didn't think it could happen to her.... The story just touched/ S C A R E D me.
I am no longer going to the tanning bed... & now off to hunt for the best bronzer/self tanner I can find....
**Sabina passed away in March of this year.. her blog is in Swedish but you should be able to have google translate it for you...

Comments

Scary... couldn't look at that picture. As a kid I would try to tan next to my sister who always got a beautiful tan.. not me, just burn peel burn peel.. then maybe a little tan is finally forced to occur.
As an adult I have always worn sunscreen though, and at points have been sun phobic even "I'm burrrnnning the suns evil rays are burrning me". But never because I feared skin cancer.. I feared wrinkles. My skin looks pretty good for my age now.
Anyway glad are a reformed tanner, your skin will thank you (by not possibly killing you and remaining wrinkle free longer too)
chandelier said…
Wow that will make you think twice about tanning
MsTypo said…
I couldn't look at photo either. **shudder** As someone with olive skin i don't go to tanning salons but nor do i bother with sunscreen unless i notice myself getting red. *bad typo* I always bug pale white boy Hubby about it but you're right - we all need to take better care of our skin.
Lori said…
I used to love to go to the tanning beds! Now not so much. The idea of skin cancer terrifies me. No one in my family has had it and I don't want to be the first!
Jill said…
Yikes .... that's just horrible!

I too love tanning, though I haven't been in years!

Now I know why I'll never go back ...
Scary Mommy said…
I've had melanoma twice and I am convinced it's tanning as a teen that led to it. Stay far away--- please!!!!
I am a mole FREAK! I was burned twice in my younger days to the point that I blistered.

Cloudy day + lake - sunscreen = REALLY BAD Sunburn.

I've had a few removed and thankfully all negative. But still, it is scary!

Wear your sunscreen people!
Corinne said…
Sun tanning is one of the best ways to be rid of psoriasis, especially if you can't get into a UVB -booth at a dermatologist's. I think subjecting our skin to UVA/B rays in a tanning bed require thought and, naturally, moderation. It's a weird Catch-22 that freaks me out a little bit.
Sarah - Kala said…
From a small 1mm mole, I got a three inch scar on the back of my right thigh. Melanoma is not a joke. I never tanned/laid out in the sun on purpose after high school . . . but, it can happen to anyone. I'm so lucky I got it sliced out when I did. Annual mapping, but it keeps my mind at ease to strip down for a doc to check for suspect moles.

Living in HI - or anywhere for that matter - the sun is there whether you see it or not. Use sun screen - head to toe.
Wow. That is really really sad. I stopped tanning so long ago and I have to say that once you get used to your paisty white skin you kind of like it!!! ;) CLARINS makes the best self tanner if you ask me, it is awesome!!!

Good Luck and Im glad your done with the Fake Bake!
Anonymous said…
I haven't tanned in YEARS and the thing is.. people can't believe.. ahem.. how "OLD" I am. Tanning=bad for you!! Wrinkles, cancer.. ?! So not worth a little "color". Yep I am loving looking YOUNG ;)
Anonymous said…
and ps.. I am 46!
Kelli Nørgaard said…
I know Greys Anatomy is fictious but all this drama surrounding Izzy´s brain cancer coming from one tiny mole scared me to death...
especially as one who has tanned since she was 16....
why do we do these things to ourselves under the guise that "tan fat is prettier than white fat"...at least that is my mantra!
Sues2u2 said…
Former life guard here too. Just thinking about all of the Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil we used to use sometimes freaks me out. My dd has an auto immune disease of the skin that takes away the pigment. @ this moment I have 10 bottles of sunblock in the house & I carry a bottle w/ me & she has 2 w/ her. Btw, I'm hardly ever in the sun anymore & I usually forget to put sunblock on myself. Bad, I know.

The thing is that we do need sun to help us w/ our vitamin D production (did you know that 65% of women have low vit D in their bodies? Some have none) plus having some sun helps to deal w/ depression. As someone in an area w/ little to no sun @ times I'm sure you're aware of that. The thing is you have to be careful & pro-active about skin care. I know that that poor woman's family is grief stricken about the portrayal in the paper but maybe they've saved someone's life.
Awww such a sad story! You look after those gorgeous high cheek bones girl!
J :) said…
While I am sad fir the girl who passed away, im glad it bought you awareness. I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma on my 35th birthday this year and I too lived a life of "tan by baby oil". In the past 7 months I've had 3 rounds of chemo, 1 of radiation and 1 combined IL-2/experimental vaccine treatment where my own cancer cells have been extracted and injected back into my tumours with the hope they will kill themself. 8 months ago I was training for a half marathon and today I have a GREAT day if I get out of the house or have a full day where I don't throw up.

Tanning, in any form is not as precious as life. Melanoma is aggressive and deadly. I hope many more hear your message. What you've written here is very powerful. Good luck to you :)
Tracie said…
Okay, why wouldn't that girl have gone to the doc before her skin started to look like that? Obviously that didn't happen overnight. One suspicious looking mole is enough for someone to get checked out. I certainly would have noticed something was 'ASKEW' before this happened to me!!! It's too bad and all, but geez, was she blind?
FROGGITY! said…
oh my goodness, what a wake up call... i LOVE LOVE LOVE the sunshine. i am more careful now and i haven't gone to a tanning bed in a long time, but looking back i wish i could take back many of the hours i baked in the sun... and tanning bed...

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....