Patty Cake... Patty Cake HELP!

ARGH...less than a month till Bjørns 40th b-day....!


I am starting to feel the pressure- which I put on myself....
I just want his big day to be SPECIAL...

I know..he could care less about the details... He would be happy with a Norwegian Cold Board... salmon, kjøtt kaker etc.... & a store bought cake.

But as y'all KNOW...I LOVE Birthday parties....

The problem is living growing up in the states...having my BFF's be the Martha Stewarts of the Midwest..I have all of these AWESOME ideas... without the resources to pull it together...

We don't have your giant party stores here... there are no Hobby Lobby's or Michael's to go & get all of the cake decorating stuff & decorations I would need to try to pull something AWESOME off...
I bought a few things in the US (decoration wise) but that was before I decided on going BLACK & WHITE...

So now I have to put my thinking cap on & figure out how to get my hands on all of the things I need....

& I need some KNOW HOW on how to make something that looks like THIS....







Any cake makers out there
to tell me what they did to make their cakes look like this?

I am assuming that this is a FONDANT? (how the heck do I make FONDANT?)

How do I keep the black sooo black?

Anyone with an AWESOME cake recipe?

I have never made a cake from scratch but I would REALLY LIKE to...

Something FABULOUS...something DIFFERENT...



GO Here for more awesome cake ideas... If I lived in the U.S. I would TOTALLY be calling this lady to do my cakes...& Favors

Cake ideas....love the idea of the cupcakes...(minus the high heels)
To see some AMAZING cakes go here





I like to TRY to make cakes... but with the kids it has been more about how they LOOK... & not so much about TASTE...
SO even if you aren't a BAKER... maybe you can help me come up with some easy decorating ideas?
Remember, I have no party stores to fall back on... so has to be something I can MAKE... (any party idea blogs/websites you know of? -send me the link)
I need to come up with an idea for an invitation....
**I am thinking about a Black & white photo of Bjørn from when he was a child & write...
GUESS WHO'S 40?
Decorations? Black & white photos of Bjørn blown up...black frames set all around?
Party Favors?

* SLIDE SHOW of Bjørn's first 40 years....
I have a couple of SUrPRISE Guests coming in from out of town.. (tee hee.... I LOVE SURPRISES!)
I really want to go for the BOYS trip to Dublin...but I am wondering if it would be OK to make up a gift card for the trip & let him decide on the weekend he wants to go so it doesn't interfere with work?


Comments

PiNG aka Patti said…
Okay - the frosting thing - Odense makes a marzipan that comes in a big round sheet for just this purpose. It is likely to be in the grocery stores there - look for a blue box labeled Faerdig Marzipan - or the Norwegian equivalent of that!
MsTypo said…
What type of cakes does he like? I have scratch recipes for a lemon cake and my award winning carrot cake.

I like the idea of cupcakes though - then you aren't tied to the table cutting cake for everyone or dealing with people who want inside vs corner pieces.
Sandy said…
icing - it looks like many of the cakes use fondant. Simply roll out the fondant to desired thickness and place over your cake. To make various colors use a bit of food coloring and work in well. Use cookie cutters to make the extra designs with the fondant. Then simple icing to do the writing and any other fine lines. You can purchase premade fondant or check out this site for how to make your own.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
Cristin said…
Those cakes are incredible! I'll be no help at all here... but good luck!!
Corinne said…
Oh, man, I have no idea. I am not a decorator AT ALL. But all the ideas seem really cute, and I have no doubts that you can pull it off! GOOD LUCK!
June said…
Maybe a 40 cup cakes cake? Each cupcake could have one small picture of your husband spanning from age 1 to 40?
Also replied to your "americans are idiots' WTF comment on my blog :)
Batgirl said…
Gift certificate for the Dublin trip is a great idea :-) Oh, and with the marzipan - use food coloring (konditorfarge) to make it black (if they have black food coloring?)
OK, I am not a cake maker but one of my good blogging friends is. Her name is Miti and her blog address is www.piecesofme.blogspot.com

Im pretty sure that you can buy colored fondant frosting on the internet and have it shipped. That would not be cheap but trust me if you have never done it you can not make it yourself...;)

The cupcakes would be a great idea and you could probably make fondant small enough to make them look good. They are all great choices! Good luck. Cakes are much harder than they look!
Roxane said…
Oh those cakes are AWESOME! I'm not a cake decorator by any means but I cant wait to see how it turns out for you :)
So yes, I do the blog stuff myself thusfar. The one that I had prior to this with the green turf and the endzones I paid for but I like to switch it up. I make my own headers but I don't know how to do a button yet. Im learning on that one...

Also, here is another strange question but my in-laws are Norsky and they are having their 50th wedding anniv in a couple of weeks. All of the siblings want to send them on a cruise to Norway as a gift because they are 82 they need the comfort of the ship but do you recommend one imparticular since you are american and you moved there? Just curious!

T
Goodness girl, you blow me away with all your ideas!! I think I'm getting creative with a heart shaped cake!

Black icing sugar otherwise fondant....

http://www.festkaker.no/nettbutikk?page=shop.browse&category_id=158
Sues2u2 said…
Love the gift card idea. Let him plan it & get his mates involved. Much easier than you trying to coordinate!

That is fondant that they've used. I've checked into US shipping to Norway & of course that was more than the fondant itself! I did find a couple of UK suppliers who will ship for about 15 UK pounds to Norway. One of the companies uses a powder mix that you add water & food color to. The company's name is Blue Ribbons in the UK. Look under icings. And yes, you should be able to find pre-colored stuff.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the details! Oh & just use cookie cutters to make the shapes. Check out free tutorials on the web to find out how to make the stuff set up & all that jazz. Just google it & you'll find it!
Why dont you have someone in the US ship things to you? Go online and buy them, most places will ship internationally.
Karen said…
Oh.....I love the black and white idea. I think you may be the best wife ever. (I will need lessons.)
What lovely cakes. Sadly to say, I'm content with my homemade baked goods being delicious--if they're beautiful, that's, well, icing on the cake!

When it comes to such artful cakes, though, fondant probably is the key. Although it's so boring tasting. What about trying a fondant-like marzipan cover? Marzipan cakes with fruit filling (apricot? raspberry?) have been a long-time favorite of mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....