Flash Back... The LOVE Boat...

After reading at home with the farmer's wife & Angies Spot... I took their idea of flashing back in time.. old photos with a story.. and per Martini's for two suggestion... I decided to go back to the very beginning.. where it all started... how I ended up in Norway...
Flash back to the "Love Boat" (although the Love Boat was on Princess Cruises & we met on Royal Caribbean.... ) I was a girl right out of college...who landed her "dream" job... working on a cruise ship.. (Never mind I was a Poly Sci, & German major with a minor in International Relations) I knew I wanted to get out of Iowa/Illinois & travel... because that is really the only thing (besides being a mommy) I have ever wanted to do. I was only going for one contract... 6 months, or so I told my college sweetheart when I left. 6 months turned into a year...& next thing I knew I met this adorable Norwegian Boy who would change my life F O R E V E R...
With 6 weeks left on my contract ... I was walking through the ship on my way to work, when I spotted the new Norski who had signed on the day earlier. One look at his baby blues & I was smitten. Weird, when I think back & I can remember the first time ... the exact moment, I ever saw the future father of my children... the guy I would spend the rest of my life with. I don't know if he noticed me...
He had just signed on to what was the biggest cruise ship in the world... Monarch of the Seas & I am sure the last thing he was thinking about was meeting his future wife. We met the next night on Halloween...& although I still thought he was cute... I filed him in my drunk, Norwegian officer file. I am sure at that point he only saw the "Samantha Fox" chic.. (No, I didn't make a point of getting up & singing "Touch Me" at crew parties.. that's just what the Norwegians called me).We met again the next night in the crew bar (I know...nice... but hey, that's what you do when you are young, working on cruise ships.) He asked me out on our first real date... (Lunch at the Hilton Hotel in Ponce, Puerto Rico ) the next 6 weeks were a whirlwind Romance... spending every moment we weren't working, together... Jet skiing in Barbados, lunch in Antigua, shopping in San Juan...(so NOT the real world) until right before I was due to sign off, & we found out I had been transferred to L.A.... I think we were both thinking that this would probably be the end. I signed off right before Christmas to go to my parents home in Kansas City, devastated.... after a week at home, he flew me back to the Caribbean where we had a week together... He worked, I cruised. He had another 3 weeks on his contract but promised he would visit me in LA.. I worked.. he cruised. It was during this week he asked me if I would think about quiting our jobs & moving to Norway. Mind you, this is after spending 8 weeks together...
My being a travel loving, risk taker, said SURE... why not? Oh you should have heard the phone call I made to Bill & and Diann back home... (mom & pops) they thought I had pretty much lost my FRIGGEN MIND..... (Hubby & I, wonder what we would do if our little Princess made a call like that to us..... I would fly to wherever she was & smack some sense in her... (I am all about the double standards..)
*** TO BE CONTINUED****
(come on... you know I totally blew my parents off... I live in Norway don't I?)

The rest of the Story.. The Love Boat... Part deux... Love Boat.. THE FINAL CHAPTER...

Comments

Suzanne said…
Oh, I love the story so far. I love to hear how people met. In so many cases it seems to be love at first sight. Alot of women report knowing that the guy will be their husband.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment. I can't wait to hear about your trip to the U.S.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife
Angie's Spot said…
Oh goody! I was wondering how you ended up in Norway. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this story! :-)
Diane Mandy said…
GREAT story. I can't wait to hear part II.
Jill said…
Ohhhhhh... I LOVE this story!! Can't wait to read more!
Sydney said…
I love your story so far. Where in Iowa/Illinois are you from! Those are my stompin' grounds!!! Thanks for stoppin' by my blog. I'll be visiting yours more often!
Unknown said…
Sydney...Although I still consider myself a Texas gal.. I did live in Burlington & Des Moines.. Also lived in Chicago & Macomb.. WIU.. Go LEATHERNECKS! (Ok, I am so totally kidding about the Leathernecks thing! Thanks for stopping by!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing - I love reading about what took other expats to their current country of residence. You are a very brave woman; I'm so glad it's turned out so well for you!
trash said…
A worldwide whirlwind romance? I had no idea!!
Melanie Dickens said…
Wow. If we all had such a glamorous life. World travel, intrigue and romance. Great story, can't wait to hear more.
Lisa @ Serah's said…
Sounds like it was taken right out of a novel. :)
Mandy said…
Love this story! I sounds like a Nicholas Sparks story.
Yelowflower said…
this has got to be the best first installment on a love story I have read in years! Great job! I have to work now, but will be back to find the rest of it.

http://yelowflowersgarden.blogspot.com/
Rhea said…
I'm so impressed with your decision to move to Norway! What a sweet love story. All that time on the cruise ship just sounds divine!
~Trish~ said…
Wow what awesome first date(s) memories!!
Heather said…
If I would have been brave enough then, I would've loved to have a cruise ship nurse. I graduated nursing school at the age of 20, but stayed home here in Ohio. Now that I'm in thirties, I so wish I would've been more adventurous, like you.

What a great love story! Thanks for sharing!

Can't wait to hear the rest...have you already posted it?
What A Card said…
Oh, how romantic!

And I don't know if it's just my computer, but your header is covering the first few lines of each of your posts (about 2/3 of the way down your picture in this post). I hate to miss any of your entry!
Shanda said…
Ooh, I'm off to find the rest of this story...Happy SITS day!
Anonymous said…
For real! This is great fodder for chick lit!
Anonymous said…
i am off to hear the rest of the story
Lorie said…
Now that is a way to date!!

It sounds like a great start to a love story!
Jacie said…
I love romances. Can't wait to hear more.
Staci said…
awww i totally wrote my love story on my blog too.....soo cute!!!
Casey's trio said…
What a story...I was trying to picture all the fun places you had your first 6 weeks of dates...such a unique experience.
Peggy said…
The things we do for love! How exciting to experience another lifestyle and it looks like your love story is still in progress. Congratulations!
What a great story...excited to read the rest of it! I love to read about people being happy together :)
Unknown said…
What a great story, you look so happy and your kids are adorable.
Melisa S. said…
Happy SITS day! And what a great story...so romantic!
Suzi said…
Happy SITS day! Love the story.
EmmaP said…
soooo cute! sounds like a whirwind romance you read about in those Get-me-all-hot-and-bothered romance novels! Thanks for sharing! and congrats on being today's FB!!!
THE Stephanie said…
What a story!! How sweet...
koopermom said…
I can't wait to hear the rest! I LOVE love stories!!
Creative Junkie said…
Awwwww! I think that is so romantic!
Ronnica said…
Oh wow, I don't think I could do that!
The Boss Lady said…
Hahahaha, Samantha Fox, that's classic!
Dana said…
That sounds like an absolute fairy tale romance so far. What an awesome story to be able to share with your children.
Unknown said…
Great choice for being the SITS girl today; such a romantic story!
Anna Lefler said…
I'm hooked and living vicariously...

Don't leave us hangin'!
Pinktulip said…
How romantic! Can't wait to hear the rest!
Leiann said…
I think I would probalby do the same thing to my girls if they did that. But what an adventure. It must have been neat to work on a cruise ship.
Jenni said…
I can never pass up a good love story. Your is definitely unique. I love it.
Michelle said…
Ok, I'm hooked..........

By the way, I can't believe how much your son looks like your husband!
Anonymous said…
That is the sweetest story! But I have to admit I am jealous of the adventures. I wish I had thought to take a job on a cruise ship. Please tell me it wasn't as glamorous as it sounds.
April Kennedy said…
It sounds so fairy tale..ish! Wonderful little love stories. When you know..you just know!
I feel bad for your parents. I'll bet they miss you like crazy. My son is 19 now and I'm freaked out by the thought of him having an apartment across town. I think if he wanted to move any distance away, I'd have to drug him, bribe him, or guilt him into staying put. I'm crazy about my kids and I'd miss them too much if they moved away. I guess you can call me a "smother" rather than a mother!
Lula! said…
This is such a great story...and I will forever view you as Samantha Fox from henceforth! Hilarious!
Sarah said…
I can relate! Thanks for sharing!
Mammatalk said…
I love "how I met my hubby" stories. Fun and romantic!
angie said…
You're so lucky to have such a great 'how we met' story!
Heather said…
You guys have a great "how we met" story, one your kids will be telling.
Melodie said…
That's a much better story than how I met my husband. Of course, I don't know if I could be as brave as you were to move so far away after only 8 weeks.
Live.Love.Eat said…
That's awesome!! I have to peek to see if you posted your 2nd part after this.
Jen said…
Oh I love this story. Where is the next part, I need to know the rest.
Unknown said…
This is going to be a great story to tell your grandkid , one day !!!

Very romantic...
Tara Bennett said…
Lovely story! Thanks for sharing. I love flashback stories AND photos! Especially if they involve love and cruise ships. =)
Just Lisa said…
Great love story! I'm on the hunt to find part two now!
Teryn said…
I can see the movie rights in the works as we speak. Those Norwiegians sure know how to sweep a girl off her feet.

I finally figured it out- My father in law is from Halden, his mom still lives there and my hubby's cousins still live in Fredrikstad. I'd ask if you knew them but my hubby says asking if you know "the Gundersens" in Norway is like asking if you know "The Smiths" or "The Jones's" in America.
Michelle said…
Wow! Now that's an impressive meeting. My story doesn't hold a candle to that. How sweet and romantic and ... wow, something you soooo don't want your kids following!
Cheryl said…
I love it. Hope it continues. You have a very sweet family. Enjoy!
Cristin said…
So much more exciting and romantic than my story! Love it!
Amy said…
I absolutely ADORE love stories, yours is awesome!
Alison said…
Great story! I'm sure your parents freaked out but it clearly worked out. :)
Bebe said…
What a great love story!! You got the cute, blue-eyed guy and saw exotic parts of the world during your courtship! You go,girl!
Hugs, Bebe :)
magpie said…
hahha- "samantha fox" hahaha!! what a great story!!! can't wait to hear the rest!
Carrie said…
What a great story! I love hearing about how couples met and fell in love.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!
Carrie said…
What a great story! I love hearing about how couples met and fell in love.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!
Anonymous said…
Tor and I just watched you and your family on HGTV's International House Hunters! Yes, I have my own Norwegian hubby :). We live in Houston, TX. Tor just discovered your blog and pointed me to it. He came over here at age 19 and went to UT, Austin. I met him in Seattle, WA, where I am from. We are enjoying your blog :).Tor is from just outside of Oslo, but his parents are from the very north of Norway; Honningsvag & Hammerfest.
Kathleen Jeremiassen
Hey, me and my husband live in Fredrikstad, I'm Norwegian, he's American. We moved here a couple of months ago and are still waiting for his residence permit to go through (yay, UDI...)...

Do you know if there's a place in the area where Americans get together, a place to meet, hang out, relax, be with people that get us and where my husband can speak his own language...? I've been looking for something like that...

Love,

Hanne
Anonymous said…
This is (well not quite) my story too... I am an American married to my Norwegian soulmate and trying to live happily ever after in Norway.
Last year my bumpy road to living in Norway was actually turned into a book called, Fly Away Home.
(flyawayhomebook.com) you're welcome to come over and check it out...
ps
I live in Egersund

Popular posts from this blog

Hey you... hungry butt!

I ♥ Faces -Silhouette

A visit to the ICE AGE....